AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a WDTV Live Plus. I would like to get a second media player but I don't really want to spend $200 for the WDTV media hub right now.

If I buy a second media player that can be networked (like another WDTV Live Plus), can I access videos stored on an external drive connected to Media Player A by playing them on Media Player B? Will it see the other media player like it would detect other drives on the network?

Or, is it necessary that I use either a device like the WDTV media hub or a NAS server?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't think the non-Hub WDTV boxes can share media, so basically you need a file server/NAS or the Hub (or equivalent).

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
You should search for a Realtek 1073 based media player with a built-in drive bay and offers Samba connectivity to other devices. Our older EP500 player provided this functionality but it's not available any more. Many EP500 owners purchased two of these units, installed a 2TB drive in one of them, and accessed this 2TB storage with the other EP500 across their network.

But you should be able to find other players like this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.