AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I assume you want to run them simultaneously: So it is either a video card with a dual output (there are tons to choose from), or 2 video cards....

If not, a simple monitor switch would do..

_____

Axel

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LJG
No need to run them simultaneously
What connection will you be using: VGA or DVI?

VGA switches are very inexpensive, DVI switches are very expensive. If it is the latter, you are probably better off either upgrading your video card or getting a second one....

______

Axel

·
Registered
453 Posts
For VGA, Kramer makes a few distribution amps that will let you split a single output to many. I have a VP-300, which gives me three displays and the quality is good enough for a 100" screen.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What about two screens that aren't the same resolution or even the same proportions? I'd like to eventually have a big projection or plasma display for "theater" uses and an LCD panel for "computer" uses, but will have to start off with just the LCD panel. The catch is that "widescreen" LCD panels aren't true widescreen; instead of 16:9, they're either 8:5 or 5:3.......

·
Registered
779 Posts
No problem.

I use a radeon 9700 pro with a DVI and VGA connector. The DVI connection output 1920 x 1080 interlaced with a dongle, while the VGA connection is at 800x600 60 hertz refresh for a touch screen.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Old Matrox G400/G450 are excellent for dual monitor system. You can use different resolutions and color depth on each monitor, and you can have one big desktop if you wish - both monitors work like one.

The cheapest choice if you don't want both monitors to run at the same time is VGA splitter cable.

·
Registered
582 Posts
With Powerstrip, you can create a letterboxed 16:9 Desktop that uses 4:3 VESA timings that a 4:3 monitor expects. That's what I use when I send RGB video (1024x576) to both my 4:3 LCD monitor and 16:9 VESA-capable plasma.

I use a Kramer VGA/XGA dist amp/splitter (VP-200) that I got on eBay. Note: Does not support PnP.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I use 2 video cards and a program called Ultramon, great app. I actually drive an LCD monitor, a DLP projector and a TV.

Clay

·
Registered
200 Posts
orbitzboy:

I am trying to something similar. I have a radeon 9600 card with vga & dvi output and so far, i haven't been able to get the resolution i desire. I am using the omega 3.7 drivers ahd these are the resolution i have for:

primary: 640x480,720x480,720x576,800x600,960x720,1024x768

secondary: all the above + 1024x768,1280x720 and about 15 more resolutions upto 2048x1536.

The problem is i am trying to connect both the vga & dvi to my samsung dlp and i cannot get the primary monitor to display 1280x720p resolution. Also, the card allows only one display to be active at any time. So, if both are connected only the dvi displays a picture.

I had previously tried catalyst 3.4 drivers which gave me only 3 resolutions, 640x480,800x600 & 1280x720.

What drivers should i use to get the 1280x720 for both monitors ? how to enable simulataneous display on the card output ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the 9600, I'm running my TV as one monitor and my 19" as the other... They both will display, all though only the Primary monitor (The monitor which is cloned) will have the DVD/Video actually playing in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.