Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Dell Optiplex GX 260 ( don't know the motherboard) which has a graphics card "built-in". I installed a 8500DV for HT purposes which works fine. The HTPC is connected to a samsung HLM DLP rear projector. Since I don't want to fire up the HLM everytime I want to listen to music I was thinking that I should run a second monitor through the internal graphics card. However, I don't know how to do it or if there are more smarter ways to connect two monitors.

ANy advise is welcome and sorry if this question is too basic.

M

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have hooked up two monitors using the onboard and a video card before. I'm not sure how the Dell is setup, but as long as you didn't disable the onboard graphics either with a jumper, in bios, or in device manager, after you connect the second monitor, you should see two monitors in display properties,settings. You'll see the option to extend Windows desktop to this monitor. If you don't see two monitors, Windows is not seeing the second monitor for some reason. You should also have the option to connect the second monitor to the DVI connection on the video card using the DVI-VGA adapter which should have come with it. If everythings works ok, you actually may have the capability to hook three monitors to your htpc. I think the limit in XP is twelve( I'm wild guessing here).

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just remembered, when I did the onboard and video card route to two monitors, it was on a Compaq without AGP and I used a Voodoo3 pci card. It's possible when you install an AGP card, the motherboard automatically disables the onboard. You can try it, but you'd probably be better off just using the 8500 for the two monitors.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

thanks for your help. Chufchuf has a more precise thread. Please respond to him.

MD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.