AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as most of you know, I'm moving to yet another phase in my subwoofer experimentation, and going with a quad sealed setup.

so for anyone who wants to try a REAL, massive, 650+ Liter, 18" driver, ported enclosure(s), you have a chance to get them.....1st come 1st serve.

You can use one of these drivers with excellent results:

* Avalanche 18 (discountinued but can be found in the used market)

* RL-P18 ( www.soundsplinter.com )

* Maelstrom X 18 ( www.diycable.com )

if using the RL-P18 or Maelstrom, you may have to do some small surgery to the driver baffle just make it fit correctly, but nothing a quick router or sanding paper wont be able to do for you.

more info on the enclosures here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=756408

some pics:

oh, and the obvious: YOU HAVE TO COME PICK THEM UP!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
are you sure just FOUR sealed units will beat these two in output?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
So buy two drivers and an amp ($1000 total), some one can have BIGASS SILOs that will do 120dB 10Hz flat?

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit /forum/post/14178180

are you sure just FOUR sealed units will beat these two in output?

it will be almost identical, with the adjusted power and adding L/T. The difference will be a smoother FR in the teens down to single digits, much better placement options, and well, why not try sealed

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
What are the Size of your Sealed Boxes there budd...

Check out his thread in the DIY section...all the spec/performance info is there

·
Registered
7,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14184429

Check out his thread in the DIY section...all the spec/performance info is there

Ok... didn't notice that he overlapped it on the Twin Towers thread...

thanks

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep...4 x 24" Cube enclosures.

2 x crown K2 amps (going for 2 more later)

deq2496 for EQ + L/T

3 x avalanche 18", and 1 Maelstrom X-18

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions on those things? Circumference, height, and most importantly weight? I've always wanted to try a DIY sub like a sonotube but never quite got around to it.

I did recently pick up a used CS-Ultra for cheap to pair with my original one and that was hard enough to sneak past the fiance. She would absolutely throw me out if I told her we were upgrading to those monsters of yours.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I wish I could hear/Feel such a set of subs.

If that doesn't assault you then NOTHING can!

Do you plan on adding more drivers to each enclosure in the new sealed subs?? EG one 18 inch driver in each end?

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/14195711

I wish I could hear/Feel such a set of subs.

If that doesn't assault you then NOTHING can!

Do you plan on adding more drivers to each enclosure in the new sealed subs?? EG one 18 inch driver in each end?

there will be 4 sealed cubes of 24"x24"x24", each housing a single 18" driver.

there is more info on my DIY thread

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo /forum/post/14196501

there will be 4 sealed cubes of 24"x24"x24", each housing a single 18" driver.

there is more info on my DIY thread

Are the tubes still available ???

I'm in parkland area...

Thanks

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Sound’s like you wasn’t satisfied with them I mean look at the size of them! Why not build a platform so that sofa can rest on make it wider long enough just to place one or two of those monstrosities onto it, you might change you mind.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4ZOO /forum/post/14232239

Are the tubes still available ???

I'm in parkland area...

Thanks

yes....

if nobody gets them by next weekend, i'm gonna "donate" them

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo /forum/post/14232609

yes....

if nobody gets them by next weekend, i'm gonna "donate" them

PM Sent..

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14232307

Sound's like you wasn't satisfied with them I mean look at the size of them! Why not build a platform so that sofa can rest on make it wider long enough just to place one or two of those monstrosities onto it, you might change you mind.

As I recall, he was extremely satisfied with them, he had an extra driver and ultimately, those enclosures were bigger than he (or his wife liked) plus he was itching to try sealed and go for 3Hz extension which would have been impossible with a pair of ported subs.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/14232978

As I recall, he was extremely satisfied with them, he had an extra driver and ultimately, those enclosures were bigger than he (or his wife liked) plus he was itching to try sealed and go for 3Hz extension which would have been impossible with a pair of ported subs.

3Hz that doesn’t have much movement no more than placing my hand on my stomach and pressing down gently, but it takes enormous power and how many films exclusive play down that low how many. I can see the extension to allow the wider range, why not shakers they’re easier to install just as long as you don’t overdrive.

When I travel on the buses I noticed the difference between each one, with different motor sound and vibration because of maintenance. The sound at the back of bus is almost unbearable to listen the vibration is cool providing you have ear plugs.

3Hz are you sure there isn’t just noise down that far I mean when listening to VHS tapes in the past some of the Hi-Fi stereo tapes had so much noise that they produced a “clicking” sound of sort, and slight bit noise on the higher frequency range, like Apocalypse Now when Willard is walking though the jungle I can vividly remember the noise on the tape.

The DVD is somewhat different. So how many special films have true exclusive information in the infrasonic range? Well I hope its good project and within budget.

3Hz, 3Hz what’s the wavelength distance for 3Hz?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I hope these find their way to a good home

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow /forum/post/14241399

I hope these find their way to a good home

unfortunately nobody has showed up yet, and I dont want to keep them in my garage much longer. Hopefully Jay or Ken or John will come pick them up this weekend....if not, sadly they will be scrapped

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well.....i tried to let someone on AVS enjoy them, but since nobody picked them up, I put it on craigslist this morning.

and within an hour I had 10 folks saying they had truck ready to roll.

sorry guys...they are gone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts