1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
dumbed up (Hc3900--hmm beef up the light tunnel, color wheel and high brightness in high lamp mode and we've got a presentation projector) and dumbed down (hc3200--take away a few features, put it in a white case to match the HD20, and oh-my we've got an hd20 clone for $1,000.). Marketing isn't everything, it's the only thing...

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Dang, got excited for a minute and thought we were going to get a 3800 with a mechanical Iris

Jason

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
On the 3900, they did not mention which Darkchip they use, is it a 3 or 4. Plus, no mention on the speed of the colorwheel, since the 3800 was 4x with RBE all over the place for me.

The SRP in HK is US$3,700, which I think is quite high with not much feature improvement over the cheap 3800. I still think the Sony HW15 is a better buy since they are selling at US$2,560 here.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/18268513

On the 3900... ...no mention on the speed of the colorwheel, since the 3800 was 4x with RBE all over the place for me...

Yes, they do mention, do you look at the specs?...

Color wheel 5 segment (RGBWY) × 2.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrak /forum/post/18270890

That would make it for business presentation only where blacks are not an issue. That "W" in the wheel tells all--they are blasting light through one frame to give the illusion of high brightness and at 2x's the RBE would be ugly.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I am talking about the speed on colorwheel, not how many segment on the colorwheel. It seems you got the 2 things confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrak /forum/post/18270890

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/18274086

I am talking about the speed on colorwheel, not how many segment on the colorwheel. It seems you got the 2 things confused.

5 segments x2 (did I miss something--that means a 2x wheel unless they mean a 10 segment wheel with duplicate colors--but I doubt that--the HC3800 is 6 segment). If the HC3800 is 4x, then 2x is going to be rainbow city. Would make it similar to Vivitek which is a 3x. You've got read between the lines. It's the same machine, so the only way to increase lumens is to blow light through less segments at less speed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/18274086

I think, I'm not confused those two things. "RGBWY" are segments in color wheel and "2x" is speed of wheel. Like threed123 wrote, Raibow City...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Are you telling me '2x' = 'x2' ??????

If you have been following DLP projector, it does not make sense to pay more(double) money, for slower colorwheel speed.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/18281990

Are you telling me '2x' = 'x2' ??????

If you have been following DLP projector, it does not make sense to pay more(double) money, for slower colorwheel speed.

It's not meant for the HT audience, so it probably makes sense for the office presentation room with lots of windows. I've read that the White and Yellow segments are good at maintaining good color and brightness in high ambient locations. We've got to remember that most of the projectors sold are for business and not HT. We are just a niche in a very wide market.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Noted your comment but curious why they are using the same chassis as HC3800 which is a HT unit.

However, the way Mit. advertised the unit here in HK with 3800 side by side, it looks like a HT unit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Sorry, just more than double here in HK n their MSRP are,

HC3800 HK$13,800

HC3900 HK$28,800

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
You don't even know what is MSRP !!!!!

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 /forum/post/18282759

It's not meant for the HT audience, so it probably makes sense for the office presentation room with lots of windows. I've read that the White and Yellow segments are good at maintaining good color and brightness in high ambient locations. We've got to remember that most of the projectors sold are for business and not HT. We are just a niche in a very wide market.

Well, I stand corrected. It's a light cannon for the HT crowd.
Why on Earth they would put this into the HT ranks with a 2x wheel is beyond me. Perhaps it's for the commercial stage/theater crowd or bars/restaurants.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd advice you to really compare it with the HC3800.

If possible have the dealer do a side-by-side comparison in the showroom or even better, at your home.

The HC3800 has a 4-speed 6-segment colour wheel and even then I still see a tiny bit of rainbow effects sometimes, if there is a white object moving quickly against a dark background (lights ins a tunnel chase scene, credits at the end of a movie etc).

The HC3900 has a 2-speed 4-segment colour wheel. For me, watching a movie on such a projector would probably feel like having a disco ball in the room.

Also, while the higher lumens output of the HC3900 @3000 lumens might seem appealing, you surely wouldn't need that much, even with ambient light in the room.

In contrast, the contrast on the HC3900 is only 2000:1 compared to the HC3800's 3300:1.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts