AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Click me.

I, for one, think it's probably going to be bundles or something like that. I can't imagine there will be much changed from a hardware perspective.

Anyone see anything else?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
When does GOW3 come out? I'd think it would be a perfect title to package in a PS3 bundle.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/18190403

I'm still waiting for a true PS3 slim in line with the PS1/PS2 slim redesigns.

If you want something that slim, you're going to be waiting forever.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty /forum/post/18190415

If you want something that slim, you're going to be waiting forever.

I've currently got a 60gig PS3, and the new "slim" wasn't that much smaller. The PS2 got a massive slimdown after only 4 years, why can't the PS3 get a similar slimdown?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
There's a lot more to the PS3 than the PS2. The PS2 was a gaming system, nothing more. The slim is significantly thinner than the launch PS3. What does it matter anyway? Isn't your bluray player, cable/satellite box, AVR, DVD player, DVR or anything else like that about the same size or probably bigger than a PS3? I have a fatboy (MGS4 gunmetal gray) and though it's big, I still think it's beautiful. It's more about what the thing actually can do rather than what it looks like sitting on the shelf anway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I own both a fat and slim PS3 and I must admit that the slim is quite a bit slimmer for sure. Its a big difference to me. Though the slim is much deeper.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
I'm perfectly fine with my 60gig, my only complaint is that it runs a little loud after a while. I can wait for the next slim down, it isn't a big deal, but after how they have continuously slimmed down and re-done the PSP, there will be smaller future PS3 systems. (and Ben Heckerdorn was able to slim down the current slim quite a bit when he made it into a laptop)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'd be surprised if a smaller version came out very soon. Seeing how the slim has only been out for like 6 months, I bet it'll be at least another year or 2 before a slimmer version comes out.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty /forum/post/18190738

I'd be surprised if a smaller version came out very soon. Seeing how the slim has only been out for like 6 months, I bet it'll be at least another year or 2 before a slimmer version comes out.

Agreed, there is plenty of room to slim them down, but it will be at least a year before the next true slimdown occurs. They may get smaller in the current slim cases (much like the 360 has slimmed down internally over the years) but it won't be until E3 2011 at the earliest that we see a new, even slimmer PS3 redesign.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Sorry this is way off topic, but I noticed the thread in your signature. I've got a Panny 46PZ85U...should I worry about the black levels?

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty /forum/post/18190989

Sorry this is way off topic, but I noticed the thread in your signature. I've got a Panny 46PZ85U...should I worry about the black levels?

Yep, the 2008 models were also a part of it, I have a 2007 model that seems to be affected as well. If you have anything else to add, please take it to the thread in my sig. (it is too common of a topic and threads get taken over too often)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You mean we could have a big brick connected to the power chord like the 360?! Yes, please!

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Yes I would love it if they removed the power supply and make it an external brick. My PS3 60gig died due to a failed power supply, if it was external I wouldn't have had to send my whole system in. I hate internal power supplies, they cause more problems than they solve.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not to mention they create more heat but I must admit that I'd hate to have an external PSU for my PS3's. I run my power cords through my wall and I'd hate to have to hide a brick psu.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise /forum/post/18192143

Not to mention they create more heat but I must admit that I'd hate to have an external PSU for my PS3's. I run my power cords through my wall and I'd hate to have to hide a brick psu.

Not a good idea to run power cords through your wall, it is a fire hazard and you won't find many on here who recommend it.

Less heat means less cooling which also leads to an even slimmer unit being possible.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/18190446

I've currently got a 60gig PS3, and the new "slim" wasn't that much smaller. The PS2 got a massive slimdown after only 4 years, why can't the PS3 get a similar slimdown?

The original PS2 slim removed two of the most space hog from the "fat" PS2. The 3.5" hard drive slot which is mostly unused and the internal power supply.

If the slim PS3 moved the 2.5" hard drive and the internal power supply to external, it could be half the size of the "fat" PS3.

Second is the massive cooling used in the PS3. The "fat" PS2 had an internal large fan but the slim PS2 has a tiny internal fan and runs hotter than the old PS2.

With PS3 processors running at high speed and temperature, it will be several years before a new process can be used to make PS3 processors to run at low enough temperature without needing the massive cooling. Or Sony could put a tiny cooling in PS3 slim and it will be overheating.

PS3 also has a lot more electronics than PS2 and it's not possible yet for Sony to integrate all the PS3 electronics into two or three chips.

It's always interesting to read those who don't think of the complexities in electronics and simply ask why can't it be done today.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/18191928

One thing the PS2 slim did was to move the power supply out of the console. Do you want that?

Then they moved it back into it starting with the models shipped to North America in late 2008 (After being released in Japan earlier). There's no external power supply with the current slimline Playstation 2.

·
Registered
875 Posts
So was the external power supply a wall wart or like a lump in a snake (like most laptops)? I don't mind the latter. Would it have also helped keep it cooler?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts