Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

My friends and I are hardcore Halo players!

So I'm going to buy a couple of projectors for my gaming room. I have good light control, and pretty much any throw distance that I want...it's a big room with a 10' high ceiling and no windows. The projectors will primarily be hooked up to a couple of XBOX's.

I've seen one of my XBOX's hooked up to a Runco CL-500...It looked REALLY good. The Runco retails for about $5000, but I've read that the markup on the Runco is pretty substantial.

I'm in the market for something $2000 or less. I've been considering the X1, L300u, Z1, HS10 and the LT240.

Has anyone done a lot of XBOX gaming on these rigs? If so, how was it. I've read a few posts that hinted at XBOX gaming, but I'd like to hear more detail in regard to rainbows, screen door, picture quality, etc.

Any shared XBOX gaming experiences from anyone who owns one of these would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like to demo the X1 but I emailed infocus and they said that they did not do that, yet I've seen people on this forum who have tried demos. How do I get ahold of one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought the Panasonic and I expect to use it for my Xbox (but not dedicated). The dlp projectors you mentioned might not be your best choice for this purpose. One comment I read is that LCD projectors tend to be better for video games because the panels will not suffer from any burnout from a static image if your game happens to have a static images in it. I can't think of any artifacts in Halo that are totally static - maybe a health meter? Anyways, I should have my projector and equipment in place in a few weeks and I'll be posting the results.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HJA
The dlp projectors you mentioned might not be your best choice for this purpose. One comment I read is that LCD projectors tend to be better for video games because the panels will not suffer from any burnout from a static image if your game happens to have a static images in it.
You might be confusing this with CRTs. Those have problems with static images, but DLPs have no problems with them.

bmowell,

The biggest question is what configuration you want. Do you want 4x3 images or 16x9? Are you going to put these on different sides of the room, go with stacking, or side-by-side?

I personally find my M20x to be a little bit unclear for 480p XBOX games when I make the screen really big and sit close (1.4x screen width). I don't have the same issue with movies, though. Now I use a 1360x1024 D-ILA and they are more clear. Also, for long sessions the LCDs might cause less eye strain for some than the DLPs. For this reason I think the HS10 might be a good choice. Also, the AE300 might be good for it's short throw.

You could also get one LCD and one DLP and then anybody who has problems with the DLP could just play on the LCD. There are also certain movies where contrast ratio is important and some where it isn't, so I might lean towards getting an LT240 or X1 and either an HS10, AE300, or Z1. You've taken away some risk of people seeing rainbows on the LT240 or X1 by having another choice, but you've also been able to get some of the advantages of a projector like that.

I'm planning on selling my M20x and keeping an HT1000 and my M20 D-ILA. I figure I have the choice of using either projector and their strengths are very different.

Best of luck,

Darin

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you are primarily going xbox, I'm thinking you want a 4:3 projector. Some xbox games have widescreen support but not all of them yet. In a few years widescreen might be the console standard but it isn't right now. So that is the first thing to consider.

I game on xbox using the x1 and it looks great. I have it going through the svideo slot though which means I'm having the box deinterlace the signal. The xbox has a progressive signal so to get the absolute best out of the box using the x1 you might consider a vga to component break out cable for like 50 bucks. (for a nice one) Then you can use the progressive signal. (the x1 only accepts a progressive signal through the vga port).

I don't have an eyestrain problem from the x1 even after long use, but I did have a bit of it at first.

The box is great on the x1 and I give it a thumbs up. If you have never played on a front projector you will be blown away because you have never experienced xbox in a movie theater.

The LT240 has higher resolution. I'm not sure what the native resolution of the xbox is, but the x1 is a native 800x600. Still the picture is very good on the x1 and the price even better.

If I had the money I would have bought an lt 240 but, it's a lot more money. But you might have the cash.

The lcd units have the best wide screen option if you want to go that route.

Personlly, I would not worry about rainbows, most people don't see them.

Some companies let you try out a projector for a couple weeks then return it if you are not satisfied. You might consider buying from one of those companies.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I use the HS10 for my Xbox and it looks great, with a lot of the games I can stretch them out to widescreen, but it still looks really good in 4:3. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I like you love halo. I dont think it matters about 16:9 or 4:3 as x-box can adapt to both, just a matter if you want the scren wider or not. I have a 16:9 projector (infocus 7200) DLP, iv seen halo on DLP and LCD as my last projector was an LCD. Looks so much better on DLP. As mash said, rainbows, not a problem, iv noticed only if im looking really hard and trying to make the rainbows appear will i see them.

As for your question about demoing the x1, the Dukane 7100 is supposed to be the same thing as the X1. i dont know exatly. Iv demoed the dukane and i thought the picture was a really nice picture.

Iv also seen the L300, for an LCD, great projector, saw no screen door unless i came up really close to the screen.

My personal sugestion from the ones iv seen and my compairson between LCD and DLP, id say go with the DLP using the HD adapter. Looks awesome, and personally i love it. Good luck

HJA do you remember what thread you read about the burnout for DLP projectors from static image...iv never heard of anything of that sort but would be interested to research about it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
maybe i should add how iv compared the LCd with DLP....I use my old projector (infocus LP755) in my other room so when my friends come over we hook their X-box up to that PJ and run the link to mine, then play in 2 seperate rooms. The reason i could also say my DLP is better is because my LCD is about 2 or 3 years old, so that may have some effect on my judgment. Any more questions, just ask, people areound here are very helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the M20x since November. My M20x is dedicated to my Xbox. I play Halo like it's my job. I am a proud owner of four modded Xbox's. Myself and my buddies are always playing Halo system linked together, 16 player mayhem going on every night from 9pm to 5am (my neighbors hate me with a passion). Halo looks downright awesome on the projector. But it is absolutely mandatory that you buy the HD pack for the Xbox, also mandatory for the M20x is a DVI to Component cable! If you are running your Xbox through S-Video or Composite, you might as well flush the $2,300 your going to spend on this projector down the toilet. These two cables will cost you about $60, but it honestly makes that big of a difference!

I haven't had the opportunity to hook up the Xbox to any other projector's, but the M20x/Xbox setup continues to blow away people's expectations. Halo looks downright beautiful! For you peeps that play Halo system linked, when your waiting for other people to join your game there is a picture of an Xbox paddle for every person connected (right next to their name/handle), well that Xbox Controller Icon is ACTUAL SIZE on my M20x setup (my friends get a kick out of that). Some of my friends can't play on the projector because it makes them too dizzy/sick. I only wish that Halo supported 720p... Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 supports 720p, and let me tell you first hand, it is insane how good it looks! Hopefully Halo 2 will support 720p... Unfortunetely, as of right now only a small handfull of Xbox games support anything higher than 480p :( It's a shame too, because 720p is so stunning! On the XBox dashboard, you have to turn on 480p, 720p, 1080i in order for the Xbox to display these higher resolutions. You also have to set the Xbox to Widescreen in the Xbox dashboard if you want those Xbox games that support it, to be able to use it. Personally, I like widescreen turned off! Games that support 720p/1080i are auto detected by the M20x/Xbox, forcing the display in 16:9. Otherwise, everything else that is 480p runs in 4:3. I prefer this method, because this prevents any hassle of toggling through widescreen/smart stretch/normal modes with the remote when switching between the Xbox dashboard and 4:3 games (trust me, it gets very annoying). This all probably sounds extremely confusing, but it'll make sense when you are able to toy around with this in person.

Also, if your Xbox isn't modded, another must! Xbox Media Player is DOPE. I can stream my 100gb of DiVX & Mpeg, 80gb of Mp3's, & My snowboard/skateboard/goofing around photo albums that consist of jpeg, bmp, and gif's from my computers onto any/all 4 of my xboxs! It blows the ps2 fanboy's away... even the stubborn ones raise their eyebrows in astonishment as they mutter bad words under their breath.

The only bad thing about the M20x (which is supposedly fixeable according to Sharp Customer Service) is the ''power off & flicker issue.'' It is so aggrovating when that thing decides to just stop working! You have no idea how many times I wanted to rip it out, smash it into the floor, and then finish it off by throwing it through my living room window!!! I sent it off for service on thursday and am anticipating the reunion. Aside from that, this is the best investment I've made for my gaming needs since the purchase of my Xbox and Halo! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow , 4 modded xboxes??? Jeeeze you are the biggest geek ever! No really I got an X1 and ONE modified xbox hehe and all you got to do is patch the dash to make it progressive scan to make it work flawless with the X1. Get a cord to make the high density output work with the X1's vga in to avoid the internal scaler and it's an unbeatable value for the measly $1200 they sell this gem for...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fahmi
HJA do you remember what thread you read about the burnout for DLP projectors from static image...iv never heard of anything of that sort but would be interested to research about it.
I can assure you that there is no such problem with DLPs. The mirrors on those are always moving whether the image is static or not. I've heard numbers like 200,000 hours. Other things on your projector should fail way before the DLP chip and the static images shouldn't cause any problems with those, either. This is one of the big advantages of these projectors - no worries about different aspect ratios or static images burning them in.

--Darin

·
Registered
320 Posts
i recently purchased my first projector, and got a NEC LT240... i have dedicated one of its VGA/component inputs to my xBox, and the output is incredible. most of the games only support 480p, and almost all titles are in 4:3 format so you definitely want a 4:3 native projector if dedicating to the xBox... regardless, you won't be dissapointed w/ a DLP solution for your xBox needs, the image thrown is vivid and smooth from the LT240..!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.