Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Hope you don't mind two questions from a newbie. I couldn't find the answer with a quick search, but I apologize if I'm the nth visitor stepping on already heavily trodden ground.

1. Since I'm not sure that HDTV justifies the price differential over EDTV for my viewing habits (mostly DVDs, plus

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you are watching a TV whose native resolution is 480 lines, you would be better off using a progressive scan DVD player that output 480 lines. Otherwise, the signal would be upconverted to 1080I by the DVD player, then downconverted to 480P by the TV.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Dycus
If you are watching a TV whose native resolution is 480 lines, you would be better off using a progressive scan DVD player that output 480 lines. Otherwise, the signal would be upconverted to 1080I by the DVD player, then downconverted to 480P by the TV.
What make and model DVD player up converts to 1080i?

Jeff

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Atchison
What make and model DVD player up converts to 1080i?

Jeff
Bravo D1 and Samsung 931.

Andrzej

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The best advice we can give is for you to compare the ED & HD consumer models (side by side if possible) with the various sources around. I can say that I'm going ED because I don't think the quality difference is that noticable on a high def source. However, as you are the person to be watching you have to go with what your eyes see. If you feel the HD is significantly better, then that's where you should go. If you feel the ED is close enough to save a couple grand, then go that way and it'll be easier in your brain to replace it in only a couple years' time.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for your responses. I don't think that my wife will approve of the premium for HDTV at this time, though I'm lucky that she does like the plasma displays we've seen at Tweeter, Etc.

If I might restate my first question, with an EDTV display, would the Samsung 931 via DVI produce a better picture than a progressive scan DVD player via component video connections?

Young-Ho

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by youngho

If I might restate my first question, with an EDTV display, would the Samsung 931 via DVI produce a better picture than a progressive scan DVD player via component video connections?

Young-Ho
I would say not much if at all. Some people see the difference between DVI and component some don't. It also depends on the quality of your progressive scan DVD player.

Andrzej

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.