AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please check out the two TVs and let me know your thoughts.

Clearly we like the XBR, but the price is high..

Now the kicker, the Sony sales rep. told us that the nonXBR RP set, will have the XBR lenses in the new model this fall and the price will be the same.

So will the XBR lens make the set look much better or closer to the XBR.

thanx

The TV we can afford......

Sony 51'' Widescreen HDTV Monitor/Projection TV

Brand/Model: SON KP51HW40

http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/f...ductsearch.jsp

The TV we like........

Sony 57'' Widescreen Projection HDTV

Brand/Model: SON KDP57XBR2

http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/f...ductsearch.jsp

·
Registered
40 Posts
You do know there is a KP57HW40 as well...

The wide screen xbr's were out two years ago (57' & 65"). They were somewhat of a disappointment (to me) compared to how" high on the food chain" their 53" and 61" XBR's were the year before. Then the HW40's came out and most of my complaints about their wide screen product line, were gone. I'd recommend a side by side comparison of the pictures in a showroom somewhere, as it seems to me the major differences on the XBR line over the HW line is,(other than built in HD tuner) mostly sound related. Better+more speakers/more wattage/ toslink output are not worth the price difference if you intend to put together a home theatre w/ speakers and receiver. Most people choose to turn off internal speaker most of the time so it really matters how you set up your "theatre". Good luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx....

Yes I played with the two models side by side and I did not care about all the xtras on the XBR, as TVGUY, rightly mentioned.

The picture quality on the XBR, was hands down better. We even hooked a DVD player up to both (separately) and IMO, the XBR was better, even with us trying to adjust the picture settings.

Hence, my thought is to hold off,, but tempt'd cause the price on the models above will drop..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dividebyzero

Hence, my thought is to hold off,, but tempt'd cause the price on the models above will drop.. [/b]
Know that Sony is EXTREMELY proud of their product line, (READ: you wont see their prices dropping much, even after new model years are out). They usually move the old product out by offering spifs to the salesmen and stores rather than letting the prices drop to consumers.(other Sony dealers in the area will complain to Sony re: price slashing by other dealers in the same area.) Most dealers of Sony want to keep that relationship alive and so they dont drop prices much.

Kinda anti-demand based economics but reality....

If you are waiting for some nifty new features on next years model then by all means wait but if you are doing this soley waiting for $$prices to drop, you are probably missing some really great TV now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The 57XBR2 and 57HW40 use the SAME lens assemblies! Half the battle right there.

I consider the 57HW40 outstanding bang for the buck, especially if you can negotiate/price match.

Or, wait til clearance in a month or so when they'll be around $2200.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SonyC...

Thanx...the CircuitCity sales person and the Sony Rep. told me they have different lens...., I am new at RP-TV, so I am taking a lot of info on face value.

If the lenses are the same, than what would make the XBR significantly better looking than the non XBR, I listed above ?

thanx very much..got the $$ now, but honestly, the more I read about RP-TV, the more I am afraid.

After spending close to 3Gs on a set, you have to calibrate it yourself with a Avia or the other program, I read about..

Can a newbie like me, with little experience really do this ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dividebyzero

After spending close to 3Gs on a set, you have to calibrate it yourself with a Avia or the other program, I read about..

Can a newbie like me, with little experience really do this ? [/b]
For what its worth, most all TV's (rptv, direct view etc) require a little calibration from factory specs to our houses. Not a scary thing if you are adjusting user controls like brightness, sharpness, color / hue and shutting off various filters and enhancements most modern tvs are now blessed with.

I suggest you go and buy either Vidio Essentials DVD or Avia or any of a number of Home theatre setup disks and try it out on your current tv. Watch the entire program first before actually "doing" any adjustments, so you can pick up on the concepts of what you are adjusting and why. Most of these disks can be purchased for less than $30 at most major booksellers like Borders, etc.

If you can post questions on this board, you can make these adjustments on your tv. It only gets trickier when you start talking about entering "service menus" where you can actually do irreperable or expensive harm if you are not careful. If you are not comfortable doing those type of adjustments then dont.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.