AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home theater has two rows of seats (with the back row raised off the floor 10 inches), and for each row I have a pair of surround speakers. This is somewhat like a movie theater, where all the speakers on the side are playing the same rear surround channel data.

To power these surround channels, I have a Pioneer Elite VSX 24tx (5.1 channel amp) powering one set of rear surrounds, with the preamp out going to a Sony GX808ES to power the second set of surround speakers.

The problem with this setup is that I have to adjust volume levels on both amps independently, which is annoying. Since the volume controls are scaled differently, there isn't a 1:1 relationship and it is hard to get the same sound pressure output from each set of rear speakers. I'm looking at the available 7.1 amplifiers, and I'm wondering it they will allow a setup to play 5.1 sound to two rear right surrounds and two rear left surrounds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wiring both speakers to the same channel is a great idea! But should I wire them in series or parallel?

My speakers are rated 8 ohms impedance, and my amplifier is rated 90 watts into 8 ohms per channel. If I wire the speakers in series, then the impedance doubles and the amp can only output 45 watts to the channel, which means half that to each speaker, or about 22.5 watts per speaker.

If I wire the speakers in parallel, then the impedance halves and the amp can output 180 watts to the channel, or 90 watts per speaker.

If I understand correctly, the danger of the series wiring is that I won't get enough power output per speaker to play the sound at the level I desire. The danger of the parallel wiring is that the speakers will suck too much power from the amplifier and damage it. I'm not sure why this is the case, though.

How do I test whether the parallel wiring would damage the amp?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Series, and here is why. Your not taking into account the increase is sound pressure by two speakers reproducing the same signal, a 3dB increase in of itself. But you say the watts drop? Well thats only a 3dB drop, hmmmm, looks like its even in the end product. And not to mention its safer for the amp. I tell ya, series is the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.