AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the basement finished in January and got the wife to sign-off on the home theater!

I'm still playing around with the design of the screen and stage which leaves me with two questions:

1. I see people placing their front speakers (L,C,R) behind the screen...I plan to go with a fixed screen but am worried the screen and GOM would muffle the sound. No?

2. What is the benefit of filling the stage with sand bags?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,141 Posts
1) no, not with the right screen.

2) keeping it from resonating like a drum with the speakers sitting on it. You actually want the sand not the bags.

You can visit my thread for a look at an acoustically transparent screen or visit either SMX or SeymourAV websites and read about AT screens. Also note AVS has a sale on the SMX screens. See the sticky threads in the screens forum.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,141 Posts
If you would post your plans and construction details we will be happy to tell you everything you are doing wrong. Lack of adequate soundproofing and less than the adequate amount of cooling for theater rooms are common mistakes of average basement finish contractors. Other mistakes are inadequate wiring and lack of conduits for easy cable exchanges.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One more screen company that I'm currently smitten with is Screen Excellence. They use a weave pattern, as opposed to a perforated screen. It supports the next generation of HD (more pixels), and attenuates the sound evenly across all frequencies by 2.5 db, eliminating the need to equalize it out.

·
Registered
734 Posts
SMX and SeymourAV Center Stage materials are all weaved, essentially, similar to Phifer Sheer Weave 4500 with 5% openings.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm impressed you only have 2 simple build questions. I had thousands...

If you post your goals, plans and pics of the space you have to work with, you'll get tons of help here.

And you'll be wise not to pick up a hammer until you know everything you want (need) to do with your HT.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWalkinator /forum/post/19628992

SMX and SeymourAV Center Stage materials are all weaved, essentially, similar to Phifer Sheer Weave 4500 with 5% openings.

They also both now offer 4k screen materials (Seymour in partnership with Screen Excellence - not sure about SMX)

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWalkinator /forum/post/19628992

That statement was accurate in 2008 and 2009 respectively. Both companies migrated to a different "proprietary" weave. In the last few months both companies have developed a 4K fabric option. Seymour is now in some from of business arrangement with Screen Excellence. SMX has it's own solution which was discussed last week in the TK wannabe thread.

You can see an installation of the screen and read some discussion of the new fabric screen starting here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19565048

·
Registered
734 Posts
BIG is always up to date with things like this. I haven't been on screen forum for quite while but it is good to know that they have 4K screens now. It is good that I haven't purchased screen or material yet, now I have the option to go 4K screen if the cost is reasonable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts