AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are my options for place shifting two streams from cable television over the internet to two set top boxes?
  • I need to be able to change the channel on each stream.
  • Comcast will soon encrypt everything beyond basic cable in my area. Very little will be left in ClearQAM. The transmitting equipment must be able to tune or control a tuner compatible because of the impending encryption role out.
  • The stream catchers must be set top boxes. They can't be computers, because my parents aren't that tech savvy.

All I can think of that would work for sure is two Slingboxes hooked up to two STBs in my place and one Slingcatcher in each remote location.

As an alternative to two Slingbox Solos, is there hardware and software I could load on a CableCard-equipped two-tuner (or more) Windows 7 PC to transmit the two streams over the net to two separate STBs? Each STB would have to be able to control the tuner at my place.

In conclusion,
  • Are two Slingboxes and two Slingcatchers my only option?
  • Are Slingcatchers being discontinued? The November firesale Zatz mentioned has me little worried about support for the devices.
  • Can I cobble together a PC with CableCard tuners that transmits to and accepts channel tuning commands from two separate STBs over the net?

·
Registered
279 Posts
In short you are correct. I'm doing something similar all though I'm doing it transatlantically. Slingbox in the UK with a Slingcatcher in the US connecting to it. Slingbox in the US and a Slingcatcher in the UK so my parents can watch US TV.

Works very well. Slingcatcher is simple enough for my parents to operate. They operate the US Comcast DVR seamlessly. The UK slingbox connects to a freeview DVR so I catch up with soccer whenever I need my fix.

As ever with the slingboxes you need to ensure that the upload bandwidth is good enough (min 600K, if they are going to watch it on the TV)

I'm sure that Sling would like to get rid of the slingcatchers, move to a flash player and then rely on other people to provide the hardware to interface to a TV. Someone said that Slingplayer was coming to the PS3 but I've heard nothing more about that.

Hava have a new box coming soon that is meant to do placeshifting and connect to a TV. I've not seen it though so I cannot comment.

Tolax

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
I am pretty sure you could do this with SageTV.

A computer with HDPVR 1212s capturing the feed from the cable boxes, then Sage extenders somewhere out on the internet being run as placeshifters.

I've never used the placeshifter feature on Sage, so I can not give you any indication of how robust it is.

www.sagetv.com

-Suntan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts