channel speaker because I'd have to mount it above the screen at

the ceiling. I called Magnepan and their rep suggested using two

MGMW speakers on each side of the screen, angled toward the

opposite corner of the room.

If I purchase a 7.1 capable receiver, is there a way to use two of the

amplifier channels to output the center channel? This would avoid

having to wire the two center channel speakers in series or parallel,

and would give greater power output to each speaker. I'm not planning

to go 7.1 so the two extra channels would only be unused.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You would need to have rca,"center-outs" and 2 channels of amplification. On a stand alone processor only,one could just use a Y addaptor out of that output--going into 2 chs. of amplification. On a receiver,I doubt that output exists.

I used this setup for years,till my Meridian processor wouldn't drive this type of setup. I had the Mirage first generation center and it was too 'beammy'SO,2 speakrs helped.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Setting aside the issue of whether 2 speakers at the sides of the screen are a good idea (* see below) wiring the two speakers in series will give to equal SPL to a single speaker at the same volume setting and will only draw half the power from the amp. There's no need for an extra amp.

* Will the 2 centers be sitting right beside the RL mains and, if so, do you need them at all, or would setting your receiver for a phantom center work just as well?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I do it all the time dividing the signal and having a left and right center channel speakers on the left and right side of the 60 inch rear projection display. It sounds great.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
This issue has been much discussed on multiple threads. Do a search for "two center channel speakers" and you'll get much info. The technical answer is, bad idea due to "comb filtering" and other issues that may make dialog hard to understand. The tweaker's answer is, try it and see if you like it. This assumes that unused speakers could be returned or used as rear centers, etc.

Good Luck,

John

P.S. While I was putting together my current set-up, I found myself with no center channel speaker for a while. I put Polk Lsi15's on either side of my RPTV and split the center signal to an extra 2 channel amp I had. The resulting overblown "wide" result quickly became tiresome. YMMV...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Ok I am just going to say it. There is no way two center speakers will outperform your main speakers as a center channel if your main speakers are properly placed unless your center speakers are actually superior to your main speakers. If that is the case, sell your main speakers or replace your side speakers with your main speakers and use your center speakers as your main speaker. It is one thing to argue over the merits of a phantom center vs a single center speaker. It is quite another to argue about the merits of turning actual center speakers into a phantom center. Save your money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.