AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of nice JBLs from another unit that I would like to add to my new Yamaha HT. Both units use the stripped wire/ spring clip type of connection. Is it okay to hook up two speakers to one outlet? Neither one demand much wattage. I'd like to be able to use these speakers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Kenster,

It depends on the impedance of the speakers and the stability of the amps in your

Yamaha.

For example, if the JBLs are 4 ohm speakers and you connect both to one outlet -

you are, in effect, wiring them in parallel - so the load impedance seen by the

amp is effectively 2 ohms. Most amps are not designed for such a low load

impedance - and many will go unstable.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
The answer is, maybe.

You can do this, but there are several complicatied things to consider. First is that the speakers, hooked up in parallel (both wires running to the amp connectors) shows the amp 1/2 the impedance of one speaker (literally (Ia+Ib)/2). The amp may not like this. It may stress the amp an/or sound like dogs***.

Then there is the question of speaker efficiency. Inevitably one speaker will be louder than the other, and there's no way to adjust it.

Then there is the question of timbre matching. They just may not sound good together.

Overall you're better off not trying to use both.

Here's what you do: replace the front (LF/RF) Yamaha speakers with the JBLs. Calibrate the level. See how that sounds. Pay attention to how the JBLs get along with the Yamaha center. If you like it, keep it. If not, go back to the Yamahas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! Don't understand the science of sound (I'm a lighting guy myself) but I do understand the advice. I'll try it, but I'll probably just stick with what I have.

Ken

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I would suggest getting another receiver to use with your new speakers.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Ken, you should understand that two loads in parallel use twice the currrent (and thus, twice the power), because the total circuit resistance is halved.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You get high impedance = (Ia+Ib). Half the sound out of each speaker, so probably no net change in sound level. Probably a bunch of weird phase effects.

Hmmm.... sound like dogs**t !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.