AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may be a very basic question for you guys (and, I'm actually hoping that it is, lol), but I purchased a PS4 last week and I need some help setting up a network. I've never really done it before.

Here's how things are in our house:

Upstairs:
- one computer that's hard-wired directly into our modem
- another computer that's in a different room which accesses the Wi-Fi from the modem connected to the first computer

Downstairs:
- the PS4

Right now, the PS4 is using the modem upstairs to connect online via Wi-Fi, but because the modem is upstairs, it is s...l...o...w. Trying to watch videos is brutal.

So what's the best setup for this? Do I need a router? (my modem is used to get the PS4 online - does that mean that my modem is also a router? Like I said, I'm a newbie).Or is it best to hard-wire the PS4 using the modem I have (thus moving the modem downstairs), and getting a router for upstairs?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Some routers have built in modems. DSL connections (which I have) are common for this. Most of these systems however do not contain very powerful wifi systems and as a result can be pretty slow on the wireless side. For increased speeds you should either go hard wired (which is almost always the best idea for heavy duty connections) or get another router with better wifi ability and use it for all your wireless needs instead of your original router.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
So this may be a very basic question for you guys (and, I'm actually hoping that it is, lol), but I purchased a PS4 last week and I need some help setting up a network. I've never really done it before.

Here's how things are in our house:

Upstairs:
- one computer that's hard-wired directly into our modem
- another computer that's in a different room which accesses the Wi-Fi from the modem connected to the first computer

Downstairs:
- the PS4

Right now, the PS4 is using the modem upstairs to connect online via Wi-Fi, but because the modem is upstairs, it is s...l...o...w. Trying to watch videos is brutal.

So what's the best setup for this? Do I need a router? (my modem is used to get the PS4 online - does that mean that my modem is also a router? Like I said, I'm a newbie).Or is it best to hard-wire the PS4 using the modem I have (thus moving the modem downstairs), and getting a router for upstairs?

Thanks for any help!
Do you have the make / model # of the Modem you have? That would help us determine a course of action. If it has wireless and wired connections it is more than likely be a router as well. As mentioned you could possibly get a different router that is more powerful or if your wireless works ok everywhere else you could get a set of powerline adapters and use that to extend your network down to the PS4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the make / model # of the Modem you have? That would help us determine a course of action. If it has wireless and wired connections it is more than likely be a router as well. As mentioned you could possibly get a different router that is more powerful or if your wireless works ok everywhere else you could get a set of powerline adapters and use that to extend your network down to the PS4.
Thanks so much for the help - I didn't even know what powerline adapters were until your reply. I picked up a starter kit. When using the adapter, should the PS4's internet connect be set to Wi-Fi or LAN? It's a bit confusing as to which, since the adapters are supposed to help the Wi-Fi connection, but technically the PS4 is now hardwired.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thanks so much for the help - I didn't even know what powerline adapters were until your reply. I picked up a starter kit. When using the adapter, should the PS4's internet connect be set to Wi-Fi or LAN? It's a bit confusing as to which, since the adapters are supposed to help the Wi-Fi connection, but technically the PS4 is now hardwired.
LAN - The Powerline Adapters are just extending your wired network do your PS4 without having run an actual wire to it.

Some Power Line Adapters act as repeaters or wireless extenders but as we mentioned they usually (the repeaters / extenders) usually don't help very much in the wireless department.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
As others have said the make / model # of the Modem would help people make a recommendation.

It maybe you just need a router with better WiFi. I have a 3 level house (with the router on the lower floor) and around 1 acre of yard. I have no problem streaming video anywhere in the house or even some distance from house in the yard. I am using an Asus RT-N66U router (other manufacturers also make routers with good range/throughput). A good place to check reviews at SmallNetBuilder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts