AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Harmon Kardon 3650, which is 7.1 system. I bought a used Polk surround speaker set that included a powered sub-woofer. I already had a powered sub-woofer, but wanted the other speakers to upgrade my system. So now I've got an extra powered sub woofer and I've got a newbie question. Can I hook up my two sub-woofers in parallel so the one signal from my receiver drives both? Should I - does having the second sub-woofer buy me anything in sound quality? FYI, I can separate one sub-woofer toward the front of my room and place the second near the back. FYI, my room is octagonal shaped and it measures 19' from flat wall to t flat wall. Thanks.

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat220  /t/1502897/two-sub-woofers-and-one-7-1-receiver-question#post_24017377

I have Harmon Kardon 3650, which is 7.1 system. I bought a used Polk surround speaker set that included a powered sub-woofer. I already had a powered sub-woofer, but wanted the other speakers to upgrade my system. So now I've got an extra powered sub woofer and I've got a newbie question. Can I hook up my two sub-woofers in parallel so the one signal from my receiver drives both? Should I - does having the second sub-woofer buy me anything in sound quality? FYI, I can separate one sub-woofer toward the front of my room and place the second near the back. FYI, my room is octagonal shaped and it measures 19' from flat wall to t flat wall. Thanks.

In most circumstances you will reap a benefit from using two subs. If they are relatively similar in capability, you definitely want to use them both. Positioning them for maximum effect is a bit of a complex issue. It'll help if you could post some info about both subs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys, thanks for the help.

Imagic, I've got one Velodyne 10" VX-10B and one Polk 10" PSW10 sub-woofer. Both have low pass freq. adjustments (Velodyne:n50-200Hz, Polk: 80-160Hz), volume control, and a 0-180 phase toggle switch. Can you give me any guidance on setting the two up so the play nice with each other?

Afrogt, thanks for the Amazon link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts