AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I was thinking about doing with the HTPC I'm in the process of building is the following: I would like to have the ability to be capturing something on one channel, while watching live T.V. on another channel. I would prefer to have all of this going on without needing an external (to the computer) tuner.

In order to do this, I was thinking I could use my Pinnacle PCTV Pro to watch live T.V. through DScaler, and then get another capture card (Creative DVCR or ATI All-In-Wonder for example) that specifically was not compatible with DScaler, so that there wouldn't be any software conflicts. I could then use that card's software/EPG to only do my capturing. My cable (non-digital Time Warner) would be split before it hits the HTPC.

Assuming my machine is fast enough to handle two NTSC streams, is it at all feasible? Has anyone done anything similar? If it is possible, is there any special software/hardware combinations that I would need/want to watch out for?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have done it.

ATI AIW 128 non pro using WDM drivers

Hauppauge 401 (BT878a) using VFW drivers

Win2k

I used ShowShifter for one and WinTV2k for the other.

You want to be recording in something like MJPEG which has pretty light compression. No higher than 320x240.

Sound is a bit tricky. You need a sound output other than Line-Out on one of the cards. The Hauppauge has a second one on the card inside the box which you can then attach to the motherboard's CD-ROM analog in connection.

Then you set one program fro CD-ROM in and the other for Line-In. This will result in two sound outputs at once. Mute the one you are recording from on the play back side and you are in business. Muting something in Playback does not mute the Recording input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by e vey
I have done it.

ATI AIW 128 non pro using WDM drivers

Hauppauge 401 (BT878a) using VFW drivers

Win2k

I used ShowShifter for one and WinTV2k for the other.

Beauty!! At least I know I can do it now. I just need to figure out which card I should get for the second capture card.

Really, the thing that's most impotant in this case for me is the software, not the actual card. I'd prefer to get the card whose functionality is as close to the Tivo's as possible; as in it will automatically save the program with the show's name, it's easily browsable with a remote (you don't cruise over to the next button like with a mouse, but the cursor jumps immediately to it) instead of a mouse, something like season passes, etc.

Does anyone have screenshots of what Creative's and ATi's EPGs look like, or maybe links to sites that have good reviews that include pics? Are there any other cards that can be used in this manner?

-Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.