AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I used to have before HDTV:

Standard Def TV upstairs with digital cable box (Cox).

Standard Def TV downstairs running straight off cable (no box).

I put a splitter upstairs on the cable (after the cable box) and ran another cable downstairs so that I could set a digital channel upstairs and watch it off of Channel 3 on the downstairs TV.

Here is what I have now:

HDTV upstairs with Cox DVR Cable box connected to HDTV with component cables.

There is no 'cable out' on the DVR box to run to the TV downstairs. Is there any way to use the existing cable that runs from upstairs to downstairs? Is my only option running three RCA cables or S-Video and the Audio cables? Is there a conflict having both component cables and RCA cables running out of the same DVR box?

I know I can solve all of this by paying for another Cox digital box for downstairs, but trying to save the cost if possible.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
160 Posts
I solved this problem by using an RF-modulator I bought at radio shack.

I took the composite out (yellow for picture and white and red for sound) from my Hr-10-250 into the rf modulator. Then you connect an rg-6 to the rf modulator.

Obviously this only results in SD.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also my hr-10-250 will not even send a signal through composite unless I switch it to a 480 signal.

This is not true of my other hughes receiver though (that one has an rg-6 out that I use to run a second tv [hdmi runs the primary]).

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcaliforniakid /forum/post/0

Wow! That is exactly what I need. Didn't know they exist. Is the picture better if I use an S-video instead of the composite cable? Also, is the rf modulator powered?

Thanks again.

Yes, but the you lose most of that improvement in the modulator.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/0

Yes.

PQ goes like

component/HDMI > S-video > composite > coax (via modulator).

What I should have said (since I can't use 'component' cables to go into the RF Modulator) is that I would be using composite cables for audio and S-video for the picture. I'll have to put a splitter on both the 'audio out' jacks to send to both TVs. Right?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.