AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Are they going to release a patch to support exFat file system?

2) Has anyone tried a USB media-card reader instead of a flash drive? SDHC memory cards are cheaper than their pen-drive counterparts (and sometimes faster), so I was wondering if anyone has tried one?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/16924277

2) Has anyone tried a USB media-card reader instead of a flash drive? SDHC memory cards are cheaper than their pen-drive counterparts (and sometimes faster), so I was wondering if anyone has tried one?

i have used one of these....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

also used a startech card reader (3-4x as expensive).

with current firmware only one device is readable at a time. but, i don't care it is just an easy way to access files from a camera/usb without wearing out the wdtv usb port.

get yourself one of these too...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...yword=usb+tree

and make use of another usb port.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet, thanks guys. I can't seem to format my flash drive to NTFS for the life of me, so I was thinking a card reader and a 32GB SDHC card would be the best solution.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/16926386

Sweet, thanks guys. I can't seem to format my flash drive to NTFS for the life of me, so I was thinking a card reader and a 32GB SDHC card would be the best solution.

Yah I've heard issues with this too, if anyone has answers on how to get a flash drive formatted to ntfs please fill us in.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/16926412

Yah I've heard issues with this too, if anyone has answers on how to get a flash drive formatted to ntfs please fill us in.

You have to go to "device manager" and the go to the "policies" tab and changed the settings to "optimize for performance". But it didn't work for me. There are also 2 low-level formatting utilities that people have had success with (one by HP and the other by EASEUS). I couldn't get them to work for me, but lots of people have...

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would all be solved if the WD TV supported eXFAT...

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/16926512

You have to go to "device manager" and the go to the "policies" tab and changed the settings to "optimize for performance". But it didn't work for me. There are also 2 low-level formatting utilities that people have had success with (one by HP and the other by EASEUS). I couldn't get them to work for me, but lots of people have...

Cool thanks for the info. I just had one break on me and am gonna buy another. But if it cant accept a file over 4 gb its kinda pointless.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/16927145

Cool thanks for the info. I just had one break on me and am gonna buy another. But if it cant accept a file over 4 gb its kinda pointless.

I know, exactly man. I'm just going to go with a card reader, a 16GB card (or 32GB when the prices drop) and a small 4" extender cable. I tested it on an 8GB SDHC card and it formats NTFS without any problems. No more thumb drives for me until they figure out the problem.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/16927602

I know, exactly man. I'm just going to go with a card reader, a 16GB card (or 32GB when the prices drop) and a small 4" extender cable. I tested it on an 8GB SDHC card and it formats NTFS without any problems. No more thumb drives for me until they figure out the problem.

Not a bad idea what kind of prices are you looking at on 16gb?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/16927714

Not a bad idea what kind of prices are you looking at on 16gb?

Under $20 at most online places now. By the end of summer, 16GB will be $15-18, and 32GB should be under $40. 32GB will pretty much fit any Blu-ray rip I have with no compression.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts