AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it mystique or schtick? Here's a soon to be 39 year old actress who has basically been playing the same role for most of her career. In other words, a good-looking but awkward female with tomboyish qualities, and a nice person to hang around with. She falls down quite a bit in this movie and gets into her usual share of embarassing situations. Why do I like her so much and continue renting or buying her movies? In my collection: Speed, Speed 2, While You Were Sleeping, Hope Floats, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Murder by Numbers, Miss Congeniality, etc. There must be over fifteen movies. Do I need some intervention or a therapist? Oh well, I gave up on Sharon Stone and Julia Roberts, but still like to watch Bullock (tough sounding name, huh?) and Jennifer Lopez.

Two Weeks Notice is not bad (rating 5/10), the PQ is adequate (3.5), and as a chick flick, it says a lot of funny things about lawyers and liberals. The opening scene with the wrecking ball is a good hook for the rest of the film.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
i think she is adorable also but the falling down ,stumbling characters she plays are same old thing.If she fell down as much as she does in real life she would not be so pretty.

·
Registered
447 Posts
IMO, Sandra Bullock falls into the category of actresses that convey a vulnerability that is attractive and accessible to a wide range of both men and women. Her being seen as cute, amiable and in need makes her appear available for friendship and love with all of us. Personally, I am not a fan of Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan or many of the other actresses that fall into this category (an exception being Audrey Hepburn).

______

Glade

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Sandra Bullock is the Jan Brady for the 90's.. :D

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Sandra strikes me as strident, untalented and not in the least adorable. Even less so as she's getting longer of tooth. Actually I'm glad I'm not at all attracted to her, as this minor revulsion has saved me from sitting through quite a few stinker movies.

I don't know whether her star status guarantees her enough screen time to destroy any otherwise decent movie or whether she just has an unerring nose for stenchy scripts, but her movies are unfailingly awful IMVHO.

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is a tough one , but basically the public reacts positively to her "star power" or as Hollywood probably sees it her : marketability. I do think she comes off as a charming actress. HTcrazy what you wrote is just how I feel about Julia Roberts, I can't make myself watch her movies. It does get old seeing the same actors/actresses just because the producers know they can make money ( but Hollywood is making money not art...if you want art try INDY movies or foreign. Eg: Amelie, Moonsoon Wedding or even more esoteric titles). I have to add that I enjoyed watching the success of MY Greek Wedding, even if it was a bit predictable. It was good to see the commercial success of a movie that was the result of one persons vision, and was not Hollywood "mainstream" ( if you can call a movie produced by Tom Hanks outside the loop). Think of how many actors/actressess and young film makers graduate every year from all of the art schools in the USA.

Anyway my bottom line is you will see her as long as the general public goes to her movies.

Glade: Ahhhh....Audrey she had such class!

Mark

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Mark, actually I agree with you on Julia Roberts and could write the same remarks except that she is occasionally in quality movies (that would be better still with another more talented and fetching actress).

I think the decision of which romantic comedy to go to must be overwhelmingly made by women, as these strident, aging female leads would appeal to women as role models more than the guys as hotties.

It is too bad that so many people don't know what they're missing in independent and foreign movies. And even more of a shame that the big budgets go to schlock films rather than more original and inspired film projects. But as you say, its about turning a profit, not works of art.

Thank goodness there are institutions like Canal Plus, BBC, and other government endowed entitities that believe their culture is well served with creative, intelligent programming.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Right..and this might sound crazy but thank goodness for Netflix. Without them I would be watching nothing but Julia and Sandra, from Blockbuster. Even then it would be full screen and edited for content. My two favorite threads on this forum have been how to tweak my DLP, the other was : "great movies you've never heard of ". I must have added 15 titles to my Netflix que.

Mark

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattg3
i think she is adorable also but the falling down ,stumbling characters she plays are same old thing.If she fell down as much as she does in real life she would not be so pretty.
This formula seems to be lining Hugh Grant's pockets :rolleyes: As far as Sandra's appeal, I think she's got the "girl next door" appeal, maybe not uber model like Cindy Crawford or a "classic beauty" like Sophia Lauren or Gillian Anderson (mmmmmmmmmmmm....... :D

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I agree with most of the comments as to what makes Sandra so attractive at the box office, but this movie was not what it should have been. I read somewhere that Sandra says this will be her last romantic comedy. She sure went out with a fizzle!

The weakness was the lack of a likeable supporting cast. The strength of great romantic comedies is a full cast of interesting characters. Take Nottting Hill and America's Sweethearts, for example. Both have great supporting casts. Rhys Ifans in NH and Hank Azaria in AS, for example, were unforgettable. I can't remember anyone else in Two Weeks Notice.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I've never understood how Julia Roberts is considered any more attractive than Eric Roberts in a wig. And her voice is less interesting.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Right..and this might sound crazy but thank goodness for Netflix.
Not to mention the near impossibility of getting new releases there after your membership hits its 3 month anniversary. It's left me with a steady diet of foreign, independant, and classic movies. Frustrating, but its good for you. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.