AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen tons of posts here and there but my googlefu doesnt seem to be working out for this one. I've got a samsung es8000 wifi enabled which sees the onboard twonky server provided with my 3TB Western Digital Network drive. it seems to be hit or miss depending on the video but most videos say playback options (pause, stop, fast forward and rewind) pop up not available. I've gotten only one video to successfully pause thus far and it was an .avi, most of my videos are in .mkv ... i'm at a loss, most sites give little to no help, or don't have an answer. I dont have any form of server set up, as my pc isnt always on. any leads would be nice.

·
Registered
858 Posts
DLNA is a very loose standard, Samsung have their own version of DLNA which doesnt play nice unless you have a Samsung compatibility profile applied. That is why you lose the ability for pause, rewind etc.

If you can get into the Twonky server control panel on the My Book Live, look around in the menus for media receivers, this will display a list of DLNA devices as seen by Twonky, check which one has the IP of your TV and verify that is has a Samsung profile applied to that IP address, if IP changes around a lot this could throw things off as the wrong profile gets used.

If the correct Samsung profile is already in use, then your version of Twonky is probably out of date. Western Digital update Twonky with firmware updates for the My Book Live so check if there are any, if your running the latest already then the only other option I can think of is manually updating Twonky but this is not an easy thing to do, Google installing Twonky 7 and My Book Live for instructions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
definitely on latest firmware, ive seen this method mentioned but could find exacts on how to accomplish it, i see several guides related to puddy and winscp, think im on the right track? i was hoping itd be simple like a firmware flash like on a smartphone. xD any rescources you know of right off to accomplish changing said profile would be great! at least i have a good keyword to google now, thanks a ton!

·
Registered
858 Posts
This is the guide . It must be installed via command line, using SSH.

WinSCP is a Windows front end to Putty an SSH client, but just download Putty itself. Run Putty connecting to the IP of the My Book Live then copy and paste in the commands as outlined in the guide, that will get you Twonky 7.0.9 on the My Book Live.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks! I found a bunch of guides with bits and pieces but nothing as straightforward like this. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts