AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is experiencing a problem with his new TX-NR609 where the system does not pass-through HDMI signal (neither video nor audio) until the power plug is pulled and the device is completely reset.

What are possible causes of this that he should be looking into before he sends it back under warranty? Could this be related to clean power issues? He does believe that prior to the system "locking up" yesterday (the 2nd time it has done this) there was some brown outs and fluctuation in the power from a storm.

The firmware of the device has not been updated yet but it is planned to happen soon.

TIA

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Who knows what the problem is. With Onkyo's history of HDMI problems, I would send it back and get a new one. Even if you find a workaround, the workaround will probably only work for a while.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murky024 /forum/post/20828506

A friend of mine is experiencing a problem with his new TX-NR609 where the system does not pass-through HDMI signal (neither video nor audio) until the power plug is pulled and the device is completely reset.

What are possible causes of this that he should be looking into before he sends it back under warranty? Could this be related to clean power issues? He does believe that prior to the system "locking up" yesterday (the 2nd time it has done this) there was some brown outs and fluctuation in the power from a storm.

The firmware of the device has not been updated yet but it is planned to happen soon.

TIA

If you're friend realized that when the HDMI pass-through is activated he's burning ~ 45w energy 24/7 for the facility, which is like 3 energy saving light bulbs he might not be too concerned whether the HDMI pass-through in standby works or not.

On the other hand you can set PCM audio to be mono through the surround center speaker, turn the receiver on when you actually want to use it and burn ~ 60w of energy plus have the benefit of up-scaling and improved audio quality.

Then when you're not around to appreciate the receiver, you can leave it in 'real' standby mode and use 0.5w.

With regard to it not working, this seems a widespread issue with Onkyo receivers, my personal experience was identical to what your friend is reporting. Whether Onkyo can fix it in a future firmware update, I doubt it. Otherwise the 609 is a mostly very good piece of equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.