AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to gain advice. I have an Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver (8-9 years old). Zone 2 is connected to a multi-channel SpeakerCraft amp for outdoor multi-speaker area. This has worked fine for a number of years. The other day, when I turned off Zone 2, I noticed there was a slight hum coming from the speakers. The SpeakerCraft amp has an "auto-sense" function where the power is always "on" however, the AMP only turns on when there is a signal. That way, you don't need to power on the Amp on/off every time, it turns on & off automatically when the signal to Zone 2 is turned on/off. I noticed the Amp didn't power off and the "hum" persisted after I turned the signal to Zone 2 off. If I manually power the Amp off the hum stops. The hum remains no matter what input I use (CD, VCR/DVD, TV, etc.), and remains after Zone 2 is turned off. I have tried to troubleshoot. I didn't change anything on the receiver/amp set up or wiring. All wires are well connected. If I disconnect the RCA wires to the Amp, the hum stops. All functionality still works, however, when the Amp for Zone 2 is on the hum persists, even when Zone 2 is turned off on the receiver. If the amp is powered on, the hum remains as long as the Amp connected to the receiver. If the Amp is on and I disconnect the RCA wire from the receiver to the amp, the hum stops. There must be some type of signal or feedback pushing to the Zone 2 amp, even when Zone 2 is turned off? The sound of the hum increases if Zone 2 volume is increased. When Zone 2 is playing, there slight background hum is audible.

Any advice to troubleshoot this or do I need to get the receiver looked at professionally? Because the hum is not present when the Amp is on but disconnected from the receiver it appears to be an issue with the receiver (correct?). Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Up-date on this. We switched from ATT to Spectrum (Internet/TV) earlier this month and the buzzing sound on Zone 2 is happening when the Spectrum Cable box HDMI cable is plugged in. I have been able to troubleshoot it to this. If I unplug the Spectrum cable box HDMI, then the buzzing sound on zone 2 quits (whether zone 2 is turned on or not). Any idea why this would happen or how to resolve this issue? I'm not sure why having the cable box plugged in via HDMI would result in buzzing/feedback on zone 2? This didn't happen with the ATT cable box previously?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts