AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the pre outs work on the TX-NR709?

If I connect speakers to the internal amps, can I A/B switch with other speakers connected to the pre outs?

Can I play both at once?

What if I have a center on pre-outs to an amp, and the other 4.1 on the internal amps.

But then I have two stereo speakers on the pre outs also.

Can I mix and match like that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
manual is very unclear. It says that you can set some of the speakers to none, but does not clarify if the pre outs are always "hot" or if you can mix and match.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
Generally the speaker and line outputs are all active in parallel. You can:

a) Connect a speaker to the internal amp

b) Connect an external amp/speaker to the line out

c) or both at the same time (but that is usually not useful)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsegan /forum/post/20798891

manual is very unclear. It says that you can set some of the speakers to none, but does not clarify if the pre outs are always "hot" or if you can mix and match.

It says you can set speakers to none so that it knows how to process the audio signals. You answer the speaker setup menu same way regardless of options a) b) or c) above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know it's been a while, but how did you solve the pre-out on the 709 in the end?
I've got the same receiver and am thinking about adding a NAD C275BEE as a poweramp for my front speakers (MA Silver 8). I also couldn't really find in the manual how to set that up. I still need the Onkyo to drive the center and two surround speakers.
Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I know it's been a while, but how did you solve the pre-out on the 709 in the end?
I've got the same receiver and am thinking about adding a NAD C275BEE as a poweramp for my front speakers (MA Silver 8). I also couldn't really find in the manual how to set that up. I still need the Onkyo to drive the center and two surround speakers.
Thanks in advance!
If you connect the pre-outs to the power amp for the channels you want to use it for, then connect the other speakers to their respective amp terminals, then run Audyssey to set it all up to play nicely together and you're good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts