AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Onkyo has started to delay when power on receiving any type of HDMI signal. Fire Box, Nintendo, Directv. Both HDMI slots act like this. I haven tried a different type of input yet. Usually takes a couple minutes to receive the signal and starts to work. Any advice?

My father thinks it might be poly fuses that are going bad.

·
The Village Idiot
9,692 Posts
You've gotten a lot of life out of that receiver. More than most. I know that the Onkyo SR(X)05 AVRs had HDMI problems. I had an SR506 go bad - and a couple more after that. You might see if you could be covered for repairs by Onkyo - check out the link below - you never know - they might make an offer to get you into a newer model.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html

Reactions: leecreek

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've gotten a lot of life out of that receiver. More than most. I know that the Onkyo SR(X)05 AVRs had HDMI problems. I had an SR506 go bad - and a couple more after that. You might see if you could be covered for repairs by Onkyo - check out the link below - you never know - they might make an offer to get you into a newer model.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html
True, almost 10 years. Unfortunately that loss of audio warranty are for receivers from 09-12. Good idea though. I'll try there tech dept.

·
The Village Idiot
9,692 Posts
If you need to replace that 804 you might want to shop at Accessories4Less.com for a refurbished AVR. Lots of great prices on some pretty decent gear. Prices for used/refurbished AVRs that can't handle the new Atmos and/or 4k and Dolby Vision will have the best prices. Most recent AVRs from about 2014 and up should be able to pass 4k & 3D signals.

My favorite flavor is Yamaha - I have 3 pieces of Yamaha audio - a DVD-1700 in the bedroom two channel setup, feeding a Yamaha RX-V773 - and the CX-A5000 in the living room. It's a non-amped version of the Aventage A2030 & A3030 AVRs. It has very good 2 channel performance or I'd sell it and get something else. Yamaha is very well made IMO, probably has more quality control than other manufacturers. And many on these forums agree - Yamaha gear tends to outlast most of the competitors gear.

Good luck with your 804 - it was apparently well made. Too bad Onkyo had so many problems that took them so long to address or I might still be buying Onkyo/Integra products. They do have some nice features.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need to replace that 804 you might want to shop at Accessories4Less.com for a refurbished AVR. Lots of great prices on some pretty decent gear. Prices for used/refurbished AVRs that can't handle the new Atmos and/or 4k and Dolby Vision will have the best prices. Most recent AVRs from about 2014 and up should be able to pass 4k & 3D signals.

My favorite flavor is Yamaha - I have 3 pieces of Yamaha audio - a DVD-1700 in the bedroom two channel setup, feeding a Yamaha RX-V773 - and the CX-A5000 in the living room. It's a non-amped version of the Aventage A2030 & A3030 AVRs. It has very good 2 channel performance or I'd sell it and get something else. Yamaha is very well made IMO, probably has more quality control than other manufacturers. And many on these forums agree - Yamaha gear tends to outlast most of the competitors gear.

Good luck with your 804 - it was apparently well made. Too bad Onkyo had so many problems that took them so long to address or I might still be buying Onkyo/Integra products. They do have some nice features.
Yeah, my dad is an electrical engineer. Hoping to give it more life. I actually have an RZ900 I purchased for my gameroom. I love it. I think I skipped over the bad years of Onkyo. But I hear after the 900, they are using pioneer guts. So I think I avoided all the bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts