AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have done some reading on here trying to decide which receiver would be best for me. I have read so much, I am more confused than ever. The threads on the two receivers I am considering are 400+ pages long.

I am trying to get some solid argument why the AVR-3808CI would be better than the TX-SR876 and worth the 3-400.00 more.

The Onkyo seems to be a match to the Denon in everything I have read, and for quite a bit less. Am I missing something substantial?

What are the pro and cons of the two?

Does one have features that the other lack?

I have seen long lists of bugs and problems. Have most of these been cleared up with updates or will I have issues?

I've been trying to make a decision for two months now and I am tired. I should have asked sooner, but I'm sure everyone hates these comparison threads. Hope you can help with some good advice. I'm on the verge of flipping a coin or buying whatever is on sale at walmart

Regards, Will

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think the 3808ci is more comparable to the 906. The Denon adds networking ability, usb ports for MP3, and internet radio over the 876. The 906 includes these features. I had an Onkyo 805 for about two days before the "spark, pop, smoke" occured. I was too nervous to try another one in my house. I'm sure the newer models have over come this, but Onkyos still seem to put out a considerable amount of heat. My 3808 is barely even warm to the touch after watching a 2-hour movie fairly loudly, and it's in the same exact place my 805 was.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think audio feature wise, the 806 is probably the model that compares to the 3808. The 906 is the 5308 comparative model. The 876/906 would be a step up from the 3808 definitely especially if you're looking for video scaling/deinterlacing because both the Onkyo 876 and 906 have the Reon chip which is only found in the Denon 5308.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 /forum/post/15430259

I think audio feature wise, the 806 is probably the model that compares to the 3808. The 906 is the 5308 comparative model. The 876/906 would be a step up from the 3808 definitely especially if you're looking for video scaling/deinterlacing because both the Onkyo 876 and 906 have the Reon chip which is only found in the Denon 5308.

You may be right on the video side, but what makes you say the 3808 is closer to the 806 audio wise?

·
Registered
487 Posts
from a build perspective, the 3808 probably has a better amp build. The consensus is that the 806 had a drop in amp quality from the 805. So the 805 is probably the 3808 equal and the 876 would be a step up because of video processing 876/805 amps are probably close to the same.

That being said - those are paper/design specs and without putting an 805/806/3808 in the same rack and doing double blind testing, I don't think there is any way to say that the 805/876, 806, is better or worse than the 3808 audibly.

·
Registered
487 Posts
well...

They're both nice receivers. I think at this point the 876 is the sweet spot of the Onkyo line and offers great features for the price. And in my opinion, the features that the 3808 has (networking, mp3 streaming, etc) I don't need and wouldn't want to pay a $400-$500 premium for. The video processing in the Onkyo is superior to the Denon - no question - but if all your sources are HD that won't make too much of a difference. Still, it would be nice to have if you didn't have to pay more for it.

Onkyo complaints are that they run hot - buy a $20 120mm fan from here
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556082507.html

and put it on the top of the receiver blowing up. I personally haven't had any issues with my Onkyos and I've had several over the past 8 years or so. I've never had an HDMI issue with the 805 and I've got a PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola 6416 DVR for cable. 876 thread is here ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1067401 ). The 876 is relatively new so the thread is still small and you can probably blow through it quickly.

Denon complaints: there are currently issues with the 3808 and Sony LCD's with HDMI. Not sure of the details and whether or not they have a firmware fix for it but keep it in mind if you have a Sony TV and end up getting the 3808. There's also a 3808 4308 bugs thread you can peruse to see if anything would affect your setup ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=887746 ). My guess is any issues with the Denons are relatively minor and quickly fixed - the above Sony issue being the exception

I've even updated the firmware on the Onkyo by myself thanks to the Onkyo forums here on AVS and it's improved the sound processing lock on time.

You should get a Denon owner's perspective of the comparison here to be fair. If it were me, I'd get the Onkyo TX-SR876 because the Denon doesn't offer anything more for the extra $$ that I'd use and actually offers less in video processing and possibly amp quality as well. (Burr-Brown DAC in Onkyo 876 which only appear in the 5308 in the Denon line - but that doesn't necessarily mean that it makes the sound better)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I spent some time reading through the TX-SR876 thread. I don't really need the networking features as I am building an HTPC so I think the TX-SR876 is the right unit for me. I like Denon, that's what I have now. I just can't justify the extra expense for the networking, internet radio features alone. Unless any Denon owners have something to add that could change my mind.

Thanks, Will

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.