AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be a tiny bit confused. What types of HDTVs are there, and what classifies the different types as HD?

Obviously, I realize there are:

rear projection

and

front projection

However with the following I am a bit confused..

Plasma (what resolutions become HD?)

LCD (again, what resolutions are quote on quote HD)

Pure Flat (is this always a tube? Does this only mean the glass is truly flat or does it mean it is only 10 inches deep or what not?)

Are there any others I am missing? I think I am confused for one reason more then any other: All companies call their technology something different. (ie. FlatTube, TrueFlat, PureFlat)

Thanks for any clarification.

Rebies

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The short answer is that almost all plasmas are treated as HD monitors. Virtually all of them (except maybe the Philips) will accept and display RGB or component signals in all of the various HD formats. However, a lot of the 42" plasmas only have a screen resolution of 852 x 480 pixels, so whatever they are displaying isn't "true" HD.

Where it gets spooky is that a lot of people (myself included) believe that the 42" panasonic plasma produces the BEST HD picture of any set (any technology) in that screen size. It has it be seen to be believed. (Go prowl around the plasma forum, and you'll see lots of theological arguments about what is and isn't HD on a plasma.)

Many LCD computer monitors have the resolution to handle various HD formats.Some people use them that way, and with a good stb they get good results. Unlike plasmas, however, these monitors aren't equiped with any electronics for handling a strandard NTSC signal, so they are usually used just for HD.

"Pure flat" is just a descriptor for CRTs with an ultra-flat face on the tube. They still need the cabinet real estate of any other standard TV. Some sets with pure flat tubes are HD capable and some aren't. Most CTR sets with a 16:9 tube (which is what you want for real HD) have a flat face.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, in actuality, there are five types of TVs..

CRT

Rear Projection

LCD

Plasma

Projection

??

Thanks.

Andrew

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
No, much more variations:

CRT direct view

CRT front projection

CRT rear projection

LCD direct view

LCD front projection

LCD rear projection

DLP front projection

DLP rear projection

dILA front projection

dILA rear projection

Plasma

Plus a few other weird technologies not mentioned above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.