AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a typical filter order used for the crossover in speakers like 1st order or 4th order? Is there a good way to evaluate the differences? Also, is there a typical crossover frequency for the bass and midrange? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Short answer, no. :D

Slightly longer answer, you will find a wide variety of crossover orders and corner frequencies in good-sounding speakers. You will find an equal variety in bad-sounding speakers. Matching the crossover to the particular drivers and enclosure to accomplish your design goals (which aren't the same for everybody) is where a lot of the "art" of speaker design comes in.

Longest answer..... books have been written on the subject.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm trying to decide on a set of speakers without being able to audition them. So trying to decide how much difference the cross over makes.

I'm trying to decide between Aerial Acoustic 7B, B&W N803 and Von Schweikert VR4GenIII and the associated center channel. The VR4GenIII have a 4th order cross over. Don't know about the others. I own N802s and really like their sound. I can get a very good price on some Von Schweikert speakers. Maybe a reasonable price on 7B.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's part of my dilemma. The Von Schweikert aren't available for auditioning. I gambled and purchased Von Schweikert surround speakers and they've sounded great. But these are main speakers so I'm a littlle more uncomfortable taking the gamble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.