AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to recommend "Tyson". This is a documentary about the life of former champion boxer, Mike Tyson.

The documentary consists of Tyson speaking to the camera with inserted footage of his fights and life. He speaks openly and honestly about his meteoric rise and fall including his marriage to Robin Givens, the Holyfield fight, the Buster Douglas fight in Japan, and the rape conviction.

Even non-fight fans will likely find this worthwhile viewing.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
A look at the inside of Tyson, in his own words, which helps us to understand what has been presented to us on the outside.

Highly Recommended!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The documentary is so interesting on different levels.

On one level, the documentar reminds us what a dominant fighter he was. His punches were so quick and powerful that his opponents really had no chance when he was focused on fighting

On another level (perhaps a more interesting level), we listen to a man who looks back and comments on the highs and lows of his life with such introspection.

Very fascinating. You will likely come away seeing Mike Tyson in a totally different light.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Will it help me respect that man any more than I do now? I really doubt it could, but anything is possible.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Another waste of human flesh.

Tyson was pulled out of the gutter, pumped up with steriods, and pushed into a boxing ring for $$$.

In that, he is a victim and should be shown a little sympathy; except he is a dick and deserves nothing.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/17018821

Tyson was pulled out of the gutter, pumped up with steriods, and pushed into a boxing ring for $$$.

In that, he is a victim and should be shown a little sympathy; except he is a dick and deserves nothing.

Well, I wasn't going to come out and say it, but since you did.....

+1.

My earlier post was way more tactful than what I really think about him. I've gone into rants at home when he's in the news for something.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/17018792

Will it help me respect that man any more than I do now? I really doubt it could, but anything is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/17018821

I felt the same way until I saw the documentary. I still think he's was a jerk (and he admits this) but now, after viewing "Tyson", I do have some empathy for him.

sb1, you should watch "Tyson", it actually may help you have a little more respect for him than you do now. I know that it did have that affect on me.

From Jonathan Richards review of " Tyson "

"You will come away from this movie less ready to judge. Tyson may or may not be entirely who he says he is, but he's probably not who we thought he was, either. Listen to him reading from Oscar Wilde's Ballad of Reading Gaol and try to reconcile that with his public image."

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/17019130

sb1, you should watch "Tyson", it actually may help you have a little more respect for him than you do now. I know that it did have that affect on me.

I don't have a problem doing that. It would be difficult for me to think less of him than I do now, but I do understand that I don't know everything that's happened to him in his life...only the press highlights.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Getting it from Netflix this week. Stood a few feet away from him at an 'event' a number of years ago (before his rape conviction), and came away from that with the impression that this guy was an animal. Something about the look in his eyes, and the way he surveyed the room... Anyway, interested to see if this documentary softens my view of him

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htomei22 /forum/post/17020168

came away from that with the impression that this guy was an animal. Something about the look in his eyes, and the way he surveyed the room...

Yep, 'roids will do that to ya.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I watched this last night as I couldn't wait for the weekend, and no big surprises for me..I think he has a great looking family of kids and he needs to keep finding peace and enjoyment in them. This was just a payday for him too, but I'm glad I watched it.

·
Registered
28,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco /forum/post/17027200

I think he has a great looking family of kids and he needs to keep finding peace and enjoyment in them.

Sadly, one of those kids has died since the documentary was completed.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco /forum/post/17027200

This was just a payday for him too, but I'm glad I watched it.

If I heard correctly in the extra's, Tyson didn't get paid for the movie according to the director. I am a huge boxing fan and thought the movie was "ok". I guess my expectations were set too high by the critical acclaim the movie got. I did enjoy the insertion of the clips of the old Iron Mike Tyson destroying his opposition. As for cross over boxing documentaries, When We Kings which follows Ali / Foreman and the events leading up to the "Rumble in the Jungle" was much more enjoyable for me.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC /forum/post/17029423

If I heard correctly in the extra's, Tyson didn't get paid for the movie according to the director. I am a huge boxing fan and thought the movie was "ok". I guess my expectations were set too high by the critical acclaim the movie got. I did enjoy the insertion of the clips of the old Iron Mike Tyson destroying his opposition. As for cross over boxing documentaries, When We Kings which follows Ali / Foreman and the events leading up to the "Rumble in the Jungle" was much more enjoyable for me.

Wow! too bad..who produced it Don King?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts