AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a chance to meet TzungILin at CES and can confirm a very nice gentleman!

I have a couple of kid's trying to set up their own Home Theaters and we need more information on the HD73.

What little I know is this:

It is in the same box as the HD-72 and pretty much looks the same.

They have removed the white segment from the color wheel and now it is an RGBRGB wheel.

Due to this the lumens have dropped from 1300 to 1100 (or was it 1000).

Color accuracy is supposed to be better.

So what do we need to know.......

1. When will it be released?

2. What will be the MSRP/MAP?

3. Will it replace the HD72 or will they both be sold together?

4. What chip are you using for de-interlacing and scaling?

5. Does it do motion adaptive de-interlace?

6. When it de-interlaces does it take a 1080i signal and scale it down to 540p and then up to 720p (BOB method)??

7 What will be the lumen output when this projector is calibrated to D65?

8. Is offset and throw ratio still the same (my guess would be yes)??

OK Tzun you can jump in any time....................

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far I have received the following note from TzungLIn

The differences are:

1. DC3 DMD --> better black level, contrast, and picture depth.

2. RGBRGB CW --> we decide to go for RGBRGB CW, instead of RGBwRGB/HD72, for purer and more saturated colors. THis goes very well with the DC3 high contrast nature.

Since we have HD70 on the entry level end, we wanted to make HD73 as good as it could be in terms of image depth and color.

I'm sure you will find HD73 to be a notch above HD72.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was excited about this projector, then not so excited about the shipping date (that keep changing), then somehow upset and felt cheated when Guitarman reviewed that this HD73 effectively can output 700lumens.

Tzunglin, can you tell us how bright this projector really is? 700lumens is unacceptable for any kind of projector these days.

Prabhatb

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Prabhat

700 lumens (if a real calibrated number) - is enough to average the SMPTE film theater spec over lamp life on a 9' screen without any gain. Why is that not enough? If you want to worst case the SMPTE spec at end of lamp life then yes you need to upgrade to the very commonly used 1.3 screen gain - or jump to high power lamp mode.

If that was the maxed blown out number and the real number is 350 - then I would agree with you....but that 700 number is one that Infocus easily hits - and guitarman would be the first one to say Infocus is unacceptably bright
I don't know anything about the real HD73 number - but that is really an odd comment...

If you have ambient lite you could always run uncalibrated for more (since it is impossible for ambient lite to be D65 and avoid polluting the screen)

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom I did not realize you had done a review on this projector... amazingly it did not come up in my search............

do you have a link handy?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom I did not realize you had done a review on this projector... amazingly it did not come up in my search............

do you have a link handy?

Thanks

edit.... oops Ok now I found 3 threads on the HD73... perhaps my fingers were having a bit of palsy.........

·
Registered
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik /forum/post/0

Prabhat

..........700 lumens (if a real calibrated number) - is enough to average the SMPTE film theater spec over lamp life on a 9' screen without any gain. Why is that not enough? ...........

My comment was based on Tom's review where he equated HD73 with H77 or H31:

++++++++++++++

Tom, the spec for these projectors are (from projectorcentral)

H31: 850ANSI

H77:900ANSI

HD73:1300ANSI

When you found HD73's brightness is similar to H31 or H77, 1300ANSI statement is deceiving and very dissapointing.

So you found this projector less brighter than H79?

++++++++++++++

But I guess this projector is bright enought to lit up my 12ft. screen in a bat cave.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatb /forum/post/0

But I guess this projector is bright enought to lit up my 12ft. screen in a bat cave.

Well I would not go that big! Uncalibrated contrast/lumens is the name of the marketing game - though I don't disagree I too consider that type of marketing deceiving and dissapointing. All you really care about is that you have enough calibrated lumens to fill your screen - unless of course you could care less about calibration. Then by all means go for the 12'. bigger, brighter may be better for you - but not the way I design rooms!

Without a calibration review to go on I would cut the marketed numbers in half...and if indeed guitarman's number holds that up - and it would be considered as a fairly brite PJ for larger screens.

·
Registered
249 Posts
12' is anamorphically stretched from 16:9 screen that is about 9'. Hope the brightness of this projector is acceptable.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Anamorphically stretching 9' WS to 12' CS just makes it dimmer (same lumens over larger area) - you would have to anamorphically squeeze 9' WS to 9' CS (same lumens over lesser area) to make it brighter (assuming no lens losses)

You would need 1300 calibrated lumens for a 12' WS on matte gain. With a squeeze lens - 1000 lumens for the 12' CS, upgrade to 1.3 gain and you should be nearly OK with some brite lamp mode at the end.

With a expansion lens, 700+ lumens for the 9' WS increases to 1000 lumens for the 12' CS - so again upgrade to 1.3 gain.

Assuming that ~700 is a real number and you have a bat cave , and you really get 1.3 gain (not just relying on screen specs)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.