AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up a U-75R antenna from Rat Shack at my sisters house - works great as she is less than 16 miles from Phila antenna farm (she is in south jersey).... Channel 12 is currently broadcasting on UHF50 and will go back to VHF High after the February conversion (government politics permitting
) Channel 6 is currently on 34 UHF if memory serves me and is moving back to VHF LOW channel 6 after the conversion.... the Rat Shack manual said a VHF antenna could be combined with the U-75R by simply connecting the lead from the VHF to the UHF posts and running the balun down from the UHF (as already set up).

1. Do we really need a combiner or can I try what the manual says (no combiner)?

2. Would channel 6 and 12 both be able to be picked up by rabbit ears potentially. She already gets strong signals (80's) with no preamp and about 50 feet of RG6 Quad. (BTW: antenna is up on third floor, on a tripod, pointing out a back window through some trees)

Thanks - look forward to replies

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
At that distance rabbit ears should be enough. You won't know anything for sure till the power levels are settled.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If she is less than 16 Miles she might not even have to get the Rabbit Ears type of antenna, I think that the UHF Antenna will be more then enough to pick up Channel 12 and 6. This is just my opinion, and that antenna isnt half bad, where is it located outside or inside?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The antenna is indoors - the attics on the third floor are like rooms - plenty of space, so I aimed it right out the window toward the direction of the towers and fine tuned the adjustment with the signal strength meter on the tv. I'm not so sure that the U-75R antenna will actually pick up WPVI when it moves back to low band VHF - channel 6. I'm anxious to see what she will get when the analog to digital conversion goes through. If she can't get channel 6 or 12, then I will have to rig up something so she can enjoy those channels. Still looking for replies if anyone has anything else to suggest.

Thanks - this forum is excellent!!

Rob

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss GT /forum/post/15567183

The antenna is indoors - the attics on the third floor are like rooms - plenty of space, so I aimed it right out the window toward the direction of the towers and fine tuned the adjustment with the signal strength meter on the tv. I'm not so sure that the U-75R antenna will actually pick up WPVI when it moves back to low band VHF - channel 6. I'm anxious to see what she will get when the analog to digital conversion goes through. If she can't get channel 6 or 12, then I will have to rig up something so she can enjoy those channels. Still looking for replies if anyone has anything else to suggest.

Thanks - this forum is excellent!!

Rob

I would say wait till after Feb 17 to see how well the VHF 6 and 12 come in. Yes both are moving back to their orginal channels per the FCC database.

If that doesn't work, you might need a small VHF antenna and a combiner.

AntennaCraft CS600 Suburban VHF FM HD Antenna (CS600) will probably work at 16 miles. Both 6 and 12 are not going to be running much power.

You can combine them with

Pico Macom UVSJ UHF VHF Band Separator/Combiner for Antenna (UVSJ)

Total cost will be about $37.00 with shipping from Solid Signal unless you can find a better deal.

Space them 5 ft apart if you can, but no closer than looking out your window.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So just for the fun of it last night, I made a simple folded dipole antenna out of ordinary speaker wire cut to the length of channel 6 (approx 66-1/4"). Hooked a balun to it and tried this from my home on an analog TV upstairs in my bedroom (which is on cable) ....(I am aboug 30 miles from the antenna farm in my area). Hung it on the wall with painters tape and hooked it up... surprisingly, I could receive the analog feed very well from my area.. So I guess I could potentially hook this into my sister's U-75R antenna depending on what happens after the switch the night before

1 - 6 of 6 Posts