AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had several 34xx and 64xx Moto units with Comcast and having been so tired of their issues that I bought an HD-TiVo Series 3 unit, I'm concerned about getting the new U-Verse service.

I have Comcast and hate the new compression issues that I'm experiencing and was thinking of switching to U-Verse. I can NOT get Fios because it is not available in my area and NEVER will be. So I'm stuck.

I know the TiVo is incompatible. I also am currently using an external SATA drive for the TiVo and wonder if it can be used with the U-Verse Moto.

Any advice on these issues would be appreciated, or direction to a thread about it. I searched, but came up empty handed...

Thanks.

shane

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Why will FIOS "never" be available in the Oakland-ish area? Verizon does not provide local service in the Bay Area now, but that could change.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV /forum/post/14283405

Why will FIOS "never" be available in the Oakland-ish area? Verizon does not provide local service in the Bay Area now, but that could change.

Chris.

According to both AT&T and Verizon, it's a matter of one 'primary' provider for the area. The only way Verizon would be able to come into the area would be if AT&T left as primary provider and they took over. That is not likely unless AT&T fails.

...or so both parties tell me.

shane

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 /forum/post/14286590

The only way Verizon would be able to come into the area would be if AT&T left as primary provider and they took over. That is not likely unless AT&T fails.

Thanks for the explanation. I have heard that Verizon/FIOS is available in some parts of California, but it must be a few small spots not previously covered by Pacific Bell (and its newer-name variations) then.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV /forum/post/14299827

Thanks for the explanation. I have heard that Verizon/FIOS is available in some parts of California, but it must be a few small spots not previously covered by Pacific Bell (and its newer-name variations) then.

Honestly, I find the entire thing strange and anti-freemarket frustrating. If all providers were offered and allowed, subscription costs would plunge... and I'd be a happy Fios subscriber.

shane

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Most reports say U-verse HD image quality is nothing to get excited over. Not as good as FiOS, not as good as D*, probably comparable to Comcast in most areas.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for the article link. It seems most people take issue with the limited HD streams you can get. But I just have one 60" TV in my house, so as long as I can watch one HD channel and record another at the same time, I'm satisfied.

I'm always unsure what to think when the talk about picture quality comes up. It's so, so subjective. I'm pretty picky, but still don't have a "professional" eye for it. This article mentions a 10-15% softer imagine on HD. It makes me anxious because I wonder if I'm going to notice on my TV. I'm currently on Comcast.

What I'm still uncertain over is whether I HAVE to use their gateway. Can I not keep my Apple Airport Extreme as my wireless router?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The easiest way to judge picture quality in your case would be to keep your Comcast service for a week or more after you get the new service, especially if they offer a trial period where you could get a full refund if you were not happy. Then, do comparisons of the same channel on both services.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Do they sell any of their package services unbundled?

I received a post card touting a $59 a month package with $25 for data.

Wouldn't mind looking into just getting data from them and keeping my DTV.

But if they say no, then I would evaluate their TV offering. I know the bitrates are lower and DTV has been okay but I pay almost $100 and if I wanted another HD DVR for a second room, I have to commit for two years and their Tivo isn't coming until a year from now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts