AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a choice of U-Verse or Fios, which would you pick and why. Does one have a better long term outlook. I can get Fios right now but don't trust the people trying to sell it to me. My mom lives approx. 15 miles from me and just got U-Verse but she doesn't know what it really does yet. I saw a few HD channels today and looks similar to her Direct TV. I want the best technology but I want something long term. I am happy with my direct tv but video on demand looks interesting. Maybe get Howard TV, etc.

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,779 Posts
Without question, FiOS. It's the best HDTV image quality available, and more channels than either of the DBS providers.

U-verse does not compare.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Read up. Most of us here would choose Fios for the best PQ possible.

BTW, you really don't have a choice in most areas. If you're lucky (like me), you have a choice of cable, IPTV(U-verse/Fios), Dish and DirectTV. Most people aren't that lucky just yet. They usually have the choice of cable and the two satellite providers.

Your choice isn't U-verse vs. Fios. Your choice is Fios vs. DirectTV.

If you like Sunday ticket, stick with DirectTV. If you like quality HD, consider Fios.

· Registered
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/15410618

If you like Sunday ticket, stick with DirectTV. If you like quality HD, consider Fios.

Allow me to addendum that statement... if you like pro sports you'll want DirecTv for the packages.

FIOS is getting their sports packages through InDemand which will not be sending down the number of HD games that FIOS can carry. That's one of the puzzling things about Verizon. Instead of making a statement and dealing directly with the leagues so they can use their bandwidth to bring more HD games with the packages it looks like there will be 1, possibly 2 counting a late game per day come baseball season.

I just switched from DirecTv to FIOS for the better HD quality. I'll miss watching my team in HD every game.This past season was exceptional for DirecTv. Every team, every game.

· Registered
5,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123HDTV /forum/post/15410954

Allow me to addendum that statement... if you like pro sports you'll want DirecTv for the packages.

FIOS is getting their sports packages through InDemand which will not be sending down the number of HD games that FIOS can carry. That's one of the puzzling things about Verizon. Instead of making a statement and dealing directly with the leagues so they can use their bandwidth to bring more HD games with the packages it looks like there will be 1, possibly 2 counting a late game per day come baseball season.

I just switched from DirecTv to FIOS for the better HD quality. I'll miss watching my team in HD every game.This past season was exceptional for DirecTv. Every team, every game.

It's not puzzling at all. DirectTV outbid EVERYONE for Sunday ticket. If Verizon or the cable co's want the out of market Sunday games, they will have to pay. Verizon can't have EVERYTHING!

· Registered
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/15412534

It's not puzzling at all. DirectTV outbid EVERYONE for Sunday ticket. If Verizon or the cable co's want the out of market Sunday games, they will have to pay. Verizon can't have EVERYTHING!

I wasn't referring to Sunday ticket. I was referring to League Pass, Extra Innings and Center Ice.

If you refer back to my post I said they are getting their sports packages from InDemand. The only ones carried by InDemand are the above 3 and the two ESPN packages.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
U-verse sub who would choose FIOS. Other than HD PQ I'm quite happy with U-verse though.

· Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonracer /forum/post/15410569

If you had a choice of U-Verse or Fios, which would you pick and why. Does one have a better long term outlook. I can get Fios right now but don't trust the people trying to sell it to me. My mom lives approx. 15 miles from me and just got U-Verse but she doesn't know what it really does yet. I saw a few HD channels today and looks similar to her Direct TV. I want the best technology but I want something long term. I am happy with my direct tv but video on demand looks interesting. Maybe get Howard TV, etc.

My area has uverse, my dad's area has verizon. The Verizon hd quality DESTROYS uverse. I was so disgusted that I cancelled my uverse after having it for 4 months and went back to cox cable which has slightly better PQ over uverse.

· Registered
32 Posts
I'm a new U-Verse sub. Switched from cable and had Directv a few years ago. I'm relatively happy with it so far. The PQ doesn't bother me, because there are so many more HD channels to choose from than cable. There's a few issues with audio and some weird things with the total home dvr that are supposed to be fixed in the near future. But overall I like it over my other choices so far.

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Noob /forum/post/15416612

I'm a new U-Verse sub. Switched from cable and had Directv a few years ago. I'm relatively happy with it so far. The PQ doesn't bother me, because there are so many more HD channels to choose from than cable. There's a few issues with audio and some weird things with the total home dvr that are supposed to be fixed in the near future. But overall I like it over my other choices so far.

To put a finer point on it, U-verse HD image quality is not bad, and they do have some very attractive features, like the Whole House DVR. It's just that comparing it to FiOS HD image quality is a losing proposition.

· Registered
45,779 Posts
It occurs to me that the original question maybe a moot point, unless someone is considering moving. Are there any areas that have both U-verse & Fios? I don't think so, but maybe others know for sure.

· Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15416684

To put a finer point on it, U-verse HD image quality is not bad, and they do have some very attractive features, like the Whole House DVR. It's just that comparing it to FiOS HD image quality is a losing proposition.

My 52 year old eyes are both a blessing and a curse.

· Premium Member
6,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonracer /forum/post/15410569

Maybe get Howard TV, etc.

This is pricey, and at least when I canceled my subscription about 6 months ago was NOT in HD.

Very strange, maybe this is just a TWC/LA thing. You could get 30-minute promos in HD (on what was INHD, and later Mojo... which is now dead). But the actual Howard TV on the premium OnDemand from TWC/LA was not in HD.

So you know they shot it in HD. But TWC/LA didn't deliver it in HD on the regular outlet.

YMMV from FIOS/u-Verse.

· Registered
4,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15416699

It occurs to me that the original question maybe a moot point, unless someone is considering moving. Are there any areas that have both U-verse & Fios? I don't think so, but maybe others know for sure.

Verizon is only building out FiOS in areas where they are already the local exchange carrier, so it's rather unlikely to have both services to be available at the same address. That having been said, both Dallas and LA have both services available in different areas of the market, so someone considering a move would be able to factor it in to deciding what part of the city is best.

· Registered
4,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/15417442

Verizon is only building out FiOS in areas where they are already the local exchange carrier, so it's rather unlikely to have both services to be available at the same address.

It's important to note that while U-verse can only be offered where AT&T is the ILEC, FiOS can technically be offered anywhere. Verizon is just choosing to do it only where they're the ILEC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.