AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On ubid.com they're offering a "Comcast" RTV3030C for about $200, but one of the myreplaytv FAQ says that Comcast units don't accept the 3.0 software... is this true?

...200 bucks for a new unit is pretty cheap considering used units on ebay go for 250-300.

chris

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I don't know specifically about Comcast, but AT&T marketed some ReplayTV's with preloaded software. They had software version 2.4, and weren't expected to load 3.0. They ran specifically with the AT&T boxes, and allowed control of PPV and Parental Control through the ReplayTV menu system.

This is one link to the subject:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=83317

I couldn't find anything else quickly -- I suppose you can do a day-by-day search through the archives. I remember discussing this with (then) ReplayMike.

One HORRIBLE thing was that they were setup ONLY to run AT&T cable boxes. If you moved to a different company, or switched to DirecTV you were SOL.

Do some searches for details.

Joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrJoe
I don't know specifically about Comcast, but AT&T marketed some ReplayTV's with preloaded software. They had software version 2.4, and weren't expected to load 3.0. They ran specifically with the AT&T boxes, and allowed control of PPV and Parental Control through the ReplayTV menu system.

This is one link to the subject:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=83317

I couldn't find anything else quickly -- I suppose you can do a day-by-day search through the archives. I remember discussing this with (then) ReplayMike.

One HORRIBLE thing was that they were setup ONLY to run AT&T cable boxes. If you moved to a different company, or switched to DirecTV you were SOL.

Do some searches for details.

Joe
Well, I can tell you that the AT&T units did in fact update to 3.0, although perhaps a bit later than the original RTV branded units. I'm happily running 3.0 right now.

I am, in fact, horrified to hear that I'm stuck with AT&T forever, since I'm thinking of switching to RCN (the subject of a separate post from me). Although, now that you mention it, I seem to vaguely recall that being part of the deal, lost in the haze of getting the unit for so little.

Question: I assume that if I were to purchase an RTV upgrade hard drive from somebody, that would overcome the AT&T limitation. Can anybody confirm that, and/or does anybody know of some other way to sidestep that restriction?

thanks! Mitch

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does anyone know if these Comcast units have the Macrovision filter like the Showstopper? I wouldn't think so since they have a Replay model number (RTV3030C) but that might be assuming too much.

Ted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.