AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread back in July about the great deals uBid were offering on Denon 3300's (I got mine for $409, for example).

However, it appears (according to Denon) that uBid is NOT an authorized dealer except for B-Stock merchandise and that the warranty is NOT 1 year parts and labor, but 90 days parts.

The upshot of this is that I cannot get warranty service for my 3300 from Denon's regional service center.

It would appear that uBid 1) misleadingly advertised a B-Stock 3300 as new and 2) lied about the warranty on these units.

I would like to be wrong about this, but that's where things stand at the moment. Any others who have purchased their equipment from uBid might find out how this will apply to them.

Caveat emptor, I suppose.

- Marc

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mark; I, too had a bad experience with UBID. I would NEVER deal with them again. They are sleezy, compared to eBay, IMO. Once you go to their site, they lock on to you, start sending you emails every day. BEWARE! They won't leave you alone. They tell you about all the great things you are missing out on. The harrass the hell out of you. I finally had to threaten them to leave me alone or I would report them to the FCC. They pretend to have great deals, but its just a come on. Their auctions are not true auctions like eBay and others. Caveat emptor. They are like a monkey on your back. The best thing is not to get started with them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've had a mixed results with them. I got a great deal on a Denon 3300 that I knew I'd be voiding the warranty on anyway once I ripped it apart to install and SDI kit. I've also purchased a monitor and recently a new phone at unbelievable prices and have had no problems with the actual gear.

I've never been spammed by UBid. In fact, quite the opposite. My major problem with them is that they are usually slow to deliver, never update the order status page, have horrendous customer service, and do appear to omit or misrepresent items as new when in fact they are refurbished. I don't think they do this intentionally however, as I'm certain they are just so grossly incompetent that they end up irresponsibly, yet unknowingly, mis marking items from time to time.

For the most part, they do state if the item is refurbished or new and in the case of some of the Denon 3300s I think that most were dealer overstock purchased for under dealer cost...and probably without full warranty since it is likely considered gray market by Denon.

Anyway, buyer beware but then again just be smart about shopping there and you can get some good deals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got few things from ubid and first few purchases were OK, it just take a little bit too long. The last few items were horrible! I just purchased a pair of speaker and still waiting for its delivery. After the bid closed, the picture and description changed from bipolar - 4 drivers to 2 way - 2 drivers. I tried to cancel the order. Their reply is "Unfortunately it is too late to cancel this order. Due to the fact that it has processed. If you are unsatisfied with the product once you receive please contact us back for a full RA. ". Who care about their internal process when it's their errors. They also took months to reply and refund to another malfunction item. After two recent experiences, I am avoiding ubid from now!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Tom, you advise "being smart", but that's not exactly the issue in my case. The auction never mentioned a B-Stock unit (or refurb) and my receipt indicates a full 1-year warrranty from Denon. The implication is that uBid's product information is unreliable, and there's no way to protect against that, except (of course) for avoiding uBid completely.

I will post the results of my interactions with uBid customer "service" - at the moment, I am awaiting a reply to my eMail.

- m

·
Registered
271 Posts
I also do not like ubid. After stumbling across them and spending a good amount of money I realized that customer service is NOT one of there focus.

I especially hate the fact that even though an auction ended on monday the item doesnt ship until the FOLLOWING wednesday. What the hell did they have to do if the item was supposedly "in our wherehouse?"

I also hate that even though you have met the reserve (or there was no reserve) they can continue the auction as long as they want. BULL$HIT. This is not an auction. They already have a set price but want to see if anyone else will bid against you. My example was a stand alone cd copier with three disc changer. No reserve auction and i had a winning bid of 169. The auction went an additional day before ending, past the STATED end time. I waited around for almost 2.5 hours. The end time would change so Id wait for it to past. The end time would change AGAIN so Id wait.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have been very happy with U-bid for the most part. But it is important to know and understand how U-Bid is very different from E-Bay.

First U-Bid auctions fall into one of three major catagories.

1. Items offered through U-bid themselves. Normally overstocks , referbs or new items that a company is trying to introduce.

2. Prefered Partners, can be anything but these are outside refubishers and distributors that U-bid has a contratual relationship with.

3. Consumer Exhachange - this is like E-bay, idividuals or businesses can pay to have items listed and sold on their site.

Of these 3 types I only do the first. I have never had any major problems with items I bought directly from Ubid. Yes their customer service sucks but there are tricks to navigate it and get things resolved quickly.

Also I have never had a manufaturer not honor their warranty because I bought it from Ubid. I guess I would support surf that company. I can't tell you haow many time I make 4 calls to tech support and hear 4 diffrent things. I always get names and then deal with whoever says the best thing.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.