AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I got referred to this forum by a friend who works in the audio/video industry. I hope you guys will be able to pin point my problem.

The Problem

When connecting a pc via HDMI to the tv and the tv is connected via soundhsare to the sound bar, the audio grows slowly to be out of sync. The sound is late, not in advanced.

By slowly, I mean it is good at the beginning and the off sync delay just grows over time. At one point, the sound is late of about 1 second. It takes about 5 minutes for it to be completely off sync that much.

When the audio is off sync and I press pause, the audio continues to play for about 1 second. The opposite is true, pressing play again means a silent image for about 1 second.

Once off sync, the only I found to 'fix' the problem is to turn off the sound bard, on again. It works temporarily, but the problem comes back.

This problem occurs with firefox flash movies (youtube, facebook, ...) and inside Kodi video player.

My Setup

TV model
UN50HU7000
firmware T-NT14UAKUC-1081.0,BT-S

soundbar
HW-H430
firmware 1002

pc
motherboard Asus A78M-A - spdif type set to HDMI
processor AMD Kaveri A8-7600
HDMI from the motherboard connected to the TV. No graphic card, no sound card.

What I tried:

Sounds works well when sound is coming out of the tv speakers.

Sounds works well when sound bar is connected via analog wires to the tv.

Sounds works well when sound bar is connected via optical audio wires to the tv.

Sounds works well with Windows 8.1 installed on the same machine (It was my previous os).

Sound works well when streaming a movie from my NAS to the tv with the smart tv features.

No effect: changing the default sampling rate from 44.1 KHtz to 48 KHtz on the connected device.

No effect: Trying all the hdmi ports on the tv.

When audio is out of sync, turning restarting the soundbar reset the off sync and audio is correctly sync. The same problem will occur, the off sync will grow.

Bottom line

In a nut shell, it seems the problem only occurs when using soundshare AND the source of the sound is the htpc, connected via hdmi.

Is the problem hdmi related?
Is the problem related to the sound configs on ubuntu?
Is the problem related to the soundshare connection?

I'm not audio pro, specially on ubuntu. The os is a fresh install. It uses PulseAudio + Alsa. I'm still discovering what these 2 process are doing.

Do you know what the problem is? Do you have a fix? If not, I would like to have an idea if the problem is samsung'ssoundshare or ubuntu audio encoding sent to the hdmi port. One does not exclude the other...

I can provide links to my alsa configuration and the models of tv/soundbar but the system prevents me from posting links since this is my first post.

At the point where I am now, every advice/direction/suggestion is welcome.

Thank you,
Jean-Francois

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While AMD has gotten better with Linux drivers...Nvidia is still the preferred choice for Linux and GPU support. I would probably pick up a cheap Nvidia card.
Yeah heard about that...since I started looking for my problem.
I would rather not add another card to the pc. I'm trying to keep it silent and adding a video card with a fan goes against that goal.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It looks like Soundshare is just another name for Bluetooth. If that's true, then I would look into Bluetooth for a source of the problem. I have found that Bluetooth in Linux has recently been F-ed up. And that was because of updates to the Bluetooth stack. My problems have been with connecting, as I don't use Bluetooth speakers.

As for Pulse Audio and ALSA, this is how I understand it. ALSA (Advance Linux Sound Architecture) is the audio framework in Linux. It has the drivers that make the hardware work. Pulse is an audio server, it can direct the audio to a number of directions. It supposedly can stream audio over a network, although I never tried it. Pulse may then be the one directing the audio to the Bluetooth, so that may be a place to look for a problem. In the past, folks on this forum have cursed Pulse many times over. But Pulse has improved dramatically since then, but no one has mentioned Pulse and Bluetooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like Soundshare is just another name for Bluetooth. If that's true, then I would look into Bluetooth for a source of the problem. I have found that Bluetooth in Linux has recently been F-ed up. And that was because of updates to the Bluetooth stack. My problems have been with connecting, as I don't use Bluetooth speakers.

As for Pulse Audio and ALSA, this is how I understand it. ALSA (Advance Linux Sound Architecture) is the audio framework in Linux. It has the drivers that make the hardware work. Pulse is an audio server, it can direct the audio to a number of directions. It supposedly can stream audio over a network, although I never tried it. Pulse may then be the one directing the audio to the Bluetooth, so that may be a place to look for a problem. In the past, folks on this forum have cursed Pulse many times over. But Pulse has improved dramatically since then, but no one has mentioned Pulse and Bluetooth.
Effectively, I read that sound share is using Bluetooth between the tv and the sound bar. I will try to look into that.
Concerning pulseaudio, one of the test I will do is trying to disable it and play audio via ALSA only.

Thanks for giving directions of where to look. That is already a better progress that me in the last fee day.

I will get back to this thread if I have qestion or found a solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.