AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm thinking about redoing my Myth box and installing Mint-6 (Intrepid). Anyone here using the same or equivalent O/S? Any known issues or problems I should be aware of?

TIA

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues.

I installed Myth via mythbuntu-desktop in Synaptic on top of Intrepid (Ubuntu 8.10)- incredibly simple with no issues. I haven't tried Mint 6.x yet, but there shouldn't be a problem based on my similar experience with Mint 5.x + mythbuntu-desktop.

After installing Mint, you should be able to go into Synaptic, Search for mythbuntu

Install mythbuntu-desktop. Synaptic will auto-select additional packages when you select mythbuntu-desktop. Accept the defaults and install. Exit Synaptic.

Open the Mythbuntu Control Centre in System-> Administration.

In System Roles, select the Frontend role and Primary backend role if you want the machine to record via tuners (i.e. combined front/backend). I think you may have to select one role, let it install, then the other, i.e can't install both in one step, but I could be mistaken. I install the Backend first.

The Control Centre will then download all the stuff needed for each role (sql, etc) and install.

Then run the Myth Backend (System->Administration)

and set up your tuner(s), video source(s), input connections and channel scan.

Before going into the Myth backend, you may need to install firmware for your tuner(s) and/or update v4l from
http://www.linuxtv.org/

this varies by tuner device, but most common cards should be good to go without either.

After exiting the Myth Backend, it will ask to run mythfilldatabase- do it.

That's it. Run the front end and your tuner(s) should show a picture, assuming a cable connection or antenna is attached.

You should then install MythWeb from the Control Centre->Plugins tab. Highly recommended.

Considering all the manual compiling and manual SQL setup people used to do just a year ago or so, Ubuntu/Mint+Mythbuntu on top are an incredible piece of work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have the Kworld-115 tuners, do I need an updated firmware or is the one I am currently using fine?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisher /forum/post/15579908

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have the Kworld-115 tuners, do I need an updated firmware or is the one I am currently using fine?

Yes, you need to install the firmware for the Kworld 115 per the thread above. It's no big deal- just copying a file (the firmware *.fw file) into a specific directory, no worse than dragging/dropping a .dll into the Windows/System32 directory. In Windows, installing an .exe driver usually does the same thing, putting the firmware in some directory for you (to clarify for visiting noobs).

Everything you need is here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=kworld

although I used the Mythbuntu distro in that thread. I now install mythbuntu-desktop on top of the base Ubuntu/Mint (Gnome for now, will try KDE later). I found that the Mythbuntu distro lacked too much software in the base install, plus so much software needs Gnome or KDE libraries to run (regardless of installed Window Manager/desktop environment) that there is no real advantage to running Xfce if your goal is low resources.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/15583205

If you downloaded the firmware before in this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050693

then you don't need to get it again, just copy it to the correct directory per that thread.

It seems the /lib/firmware directory structure has changed with this version. I copied the firmware file to the current kernel folder but when I start live tv all I get is snow/static.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisher /forum/post/15706797

It seems the /lib/firmware directory structure has changed with this version. I copied the firmware file to the current kernel folder but when I start live tv all I get is snow/static.

If the Kworld was detected/setup in the backend, then Myth is using the firmware.

Press Y or C on the keyboard to switch inputs/tuners in the front end.

Also, in the backend, be sure to select a good, valid Start Channel.

Did you do a channel scan in the backend for the Kworld?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After much messing around with setting up this card with and without the firmware file copied to the /lib/firmware folder/s, still no luck. Even without the firmware file the card was being detected in the backend. The snow/stactic I mentioned earlier was from the analog tuner. The digital tuner would not detect any signals no matter what settings I chose. So in order to be able to watch the Superbowl, I am regressing back to Mint-5/Hardy.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisher /forum/post/15708740

After much messing around with setting up this card with and without the firmware file copied to the /lib/firmware folder/s, still no luck. Even without the firmware file the card was being detected in the backend. The snow/stactic I mentioned earlier was from the analog tuner. The digital tuner would not detect any signals no matter what settings I chose. So in order to be able to watch the Superbowl, I am regressing back to Mint-5/Hardy.

The analog tuner basically doesn't work (easily) in Linux, at least Ubuntu. Most people use the Kworld 115 for ATSC/QAM HDTV only.

Are you using an antenna or QAM cable for HDTV?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb /forum/post/15708780

The analog tuner basically doesn't work (easily) in Linux, at least Ubuntu. Most people use the Kworld 115 for ATSC/QAM HDTV only.

Are you using an antenna or QAM cable for HDTV?

Rgb,

I have two of these cards that were working correctly in my previous setup. I use one card in my primary backend connected to Comcast cable receiving analog and digital signals. The other card is in a secondary backend connected to an antenna receiving OTA-HD. Although I am a relative newb at this, I do understand how to setup Myth now, thanks to the help from you and all the other knowledgeable people here . At this point I believe there is a problem with Mint-6/Intrepid and this tuner card.

Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
As a person who uses 3 kworlds, I'm glad I'm still on hardy... The only things to check for sure if you are still on intreped is dmesg. Make sure the card is properly detected and firmware loaded....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts