AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1945 of 1945 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, my VSX-53 bit the dust and, of course, I hadn’t heard about the replacement program until after it was over.

For $600 might as well just buy a new 4k120 receiver whenever they come out.

But my real question is what to do with my dead receiver. Anything better to do with it than chuck it/recycle it?
I just dumped mine in the electronics recycle bin, I contemplated getting it fixed, but the cost seemed like too much for an outdated receiver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to everyone on here as I thought I was going insane trying to address this mystery UE22 that newly appeared on my SC-65 last week. With the repair program concluded and the closest Onkyo service center to San Francisco is 300 miles away, I'm guessing my 2012 SC-65 now = paper weight. Any tips on other course of action at this stage? I saw several folks impressively take to repairing themselves where they could find replacement board, but my skill level is such that I would break the part while setting fire to the rest of my Audio system. I would also value any recommendations on alternate receivers. I only need 5.1 and single zone but I loved the SC-65's ability to drive powerful sound. Atmos would be a nice plus but maybe not a must have. Hugely informative thread, thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My SC-57 can be added to the list. I just started seeing the UE22 error the past week or so and had no idea of the controversy until I checked this thread. I bought the SC-57 in late 2011, had to send it in for a repair to the firmware (it had locked up in safe mode) in 2012, and sent it in for a big repair (replacement of the main board) in 2015. I'm sure I'll replace it with a new AVR soon.

I guess about the only reason to hold off on replacing it immediately would be to wait for broader adoption of HDMI 2.1? Or is that strictly for 8K video and not really all that relevant yet? I've fallen way behind ....

Since poking around I've also noticed all the consolidation in the AVR industry. It seems like there are really only like 3 manufacturers out there - LOL! Are there any real differences anymore between Onkyo and Pioneer AVRs, for example?

Maybe getting some "dumb" power amps to amplify my speakers paired with a lower-power-rated and cheaper AVR with all the "smart" features might be an option? It looks like 10 years might be about the most we can expect from AVRs now before they need to be replaced, but a "dumb" solid state amplifier should last decades.

- Cheers,
JD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone and thank you for sharing your knowledge .

After reading this thread and experience the same UE22 with intermittent audio drops followed by no sound at all.
In order to confirm that it is the DSP chip - i heated both chips with a heat gun and the sound came back ( and UE22 was still flashing).

I own a SC-LX76 and it has two chips, i ordered two D808K013DPTP4 ( the upgraded version) and replaced them .
Now i have no error and no sound , after looking at the menu the firmware changed from 1-180-084-512-107 to 1-180-084-***-107 so i guess i now have the wrong firmware.

If anyone that has the upgraded board can share the firmware number it will be appreciated .

As i can't find any firmware file anywhere online and did not get any response from Pioneer i am considering to get new C version chips and swap them again.

What do you guys think i should do?

Sorry for the long post and thank you .

1941 - 1945 of 1945 Posts