AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a UFO (unidentified fixed object) on my 50" Sony GW XBR. It's a very faint green circle, 3/4" in diameter. Its location in relation to the bottom of screen (not bottom of frame, but the within-the-black-border viewing screen) is: 17-1/8" leftward from the right side of the screen, 3-3/4" upward from the bottom of the screen. It's visible when the TV is on and displaying no image, or when it's displaying a black image (e.g., a DirecTV channel we're not subscribed to).

The only Service Menu adjustments (i.e., alterations) I have made to this TV were umr's tweaks to enhance image detail (i.e., OSP = 1 and PKNG = 0) in Pro mode, and I also centered the image -- HPOS and VPOS; I think I left VCOL alone at 162.

I ... think ... Tweeter ... will ... be ... exchanging ... this ... TV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also have a 50" grand wega. Upon delivery i noticed a small nickel sized green spot ,(very faint-only noticeable on black backrounds) in the left center of the screen. I contacted sony, and was told that these small spots are very common and are simple a draw back of the lcd technology. I was pissed!!! After about a week though, the green spot has faded enough that i really can't notice it that much, unless i sit right next to the tv and focus on it. I still love my tv. Love, love, love my tv!!! I just wanted you to know your not alone. If the spot really bother you, return the set, but be warned, your next set may have the same spot or maybe more. Eventually these small spots will, I repeat will show up on to some extent on almost all lcd's. Good luck - juliancsu

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, nickel-sized describes it. And, it's about the intensity of the few single bad/fixed pixels I can see from a very close distance.

But in my case, it showed up for the first time yesterday -- i.e., the 9th day, not when I first got the TV the day before Thanksgiving. This is a MASSIVE cluster of bad pixels. Fortunately, they're not bright green, like one I saw at a store.

I'll think about it... but this is, to me, an unacceptably large cluster. The Features and Notes yellow insert with the TV says "black dots or bright points of light (red, blue, or green) may appear constantly on the screen." This is certainly more than "points." At least they're not bright.

It's things like these that make me willing in most cases to pay a reasonable extra couple hundred $$ (esp. at purchases of this price) to deal with a brick&mortar store and salesperson (often commissioned), vs. cheaper over-the-Internet sales.

In reference to what WeeJavaDude says below: "Be concerned. Be very concerned" (apologies to Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis).

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I have a red circle about a size of a Quarter. It was there when I got the set.. I was told it was dust on one of the LCD screens. I am in line to get it replaced. I am a bit concerend that yours showed up at a later date. hmmmmm...

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have a red circle about a size of a Quarter. It was there when I got the set.. I was told it was dust on one of the LCD screens. I am in line to get it replaced. I am a bit concerend that yours showed up at a later date. hmmmmm...
It is "possible" that my TV always had this. After all, as soon as we got it, I turned it on and left it running from Wednesday morning until Saturday night ~ 80 hours, to let the bulb settle in, and help extend its useful life by a long initial burn in.

But ... I looked at this screen for noticeable bad pixels (though I didn't see them until my 6"-from-the-screen check of LCD alignment and focus problems using a circle/crosshatch grid) when we got it. I am very sure I did not see this green circle then, or I would have noticed it. Also, my work with the service menu Wednesday night involved studying the screen very closely, both with an image and in black. I do not recall being struck by such a circle at that time, either.

So all the evidence points to me seeing this for the first time last night because it did indeed first manifest itself last night. Which means it occurred sometime during the running life of the TV, which means that this could happen to anyone's GW XBR during its life.

But why the circle shape -- i.e., a nickel or quarter sized/shaped cluster?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I posted about this about a month ago when I first got my 60XBR800. The green spot appeared a few days after I got the unit, and I got in line for a replacement.

The replacement is supposed to be delivered sometime in the next hour. The green spot, in the meantime, went away on its own about a week ago.

I'm guessing that the information that Julian got from Sony is inaccurate. Dust seems a lot more likely.

Oh, and when it went away, it just wasn't there anymore (although I didn't see it disappear). It didn't fade away.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A new 50" will be coming to my house.

I took some camcorder stills of the green spot to Tweeter, and despite the poor shooting conditions at home (daytime, room reflected in TV screen), it was discernible to my salesman (though this wasn't necessary; a complaint would have been sufficient to get a tech to look at it or get the set swapped). Being there, I also brought my DVD player and AVIA and Home Theater Tune-Up DVDs and component cables to compare their on-floor TV with mine -- to see if I had typical color fringing at the edges of the screen (i.e., all these TVs are slightly imperfect in some way), or if mine was abnormal. I brought my DVD player and DVDs because Ed Van Belkom suggested that sometimes the problem is in the DVD player and/or the DVD, and the only way to rule that out is to use the same equipment when comparing TVs.

Looking at the convergence/resolution crosshatch patterns made it clear that the store TV had better resolution and/or focus and/or LCD alignment than mine did, which was a second reason (besides the green circle) to request a replacement. There were no yellow lines and almost no purple lines to the sides of the main crosshatch lines (mine had both), and the slight fringing of the white lines on the white crosshatch pattern at the right side of the screen were equally balanced on the left side of the screen -- whereas on my TV, it got slightly but progressively more color fringing as I moved to the right side of my screen.

I also saw a HD feed. The salespeople said these GW XBRs don't seem to have the occasional waviness/interference at the top of the HD picture that this year's Sony direct-view and CRT RPTV televisions sometimes exhibit.*

[There was a Pioneer 42" plasma in the room, and the HD picture, especially in the darker areas, put the Sony GW XBR to shame. But, it's $5K, has only 70% of the picture area, and is subject to burn-in. Which is why I'm still basically satisfied with the GW XBR.]

* I saw this waviness aberration once at the Lewisville, TX, Tweeter store -- the other TVs were doing fine, but the Sony RPTVs and the direct-view XBR on ths same feed were displaying distortion of the top inch or two of the HD signal. Weird.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
My red blotch is about a size of a quarter. If i get some time tomorrow I will take a digital of it. I am still awaiting my replacement since they are sold out. (So I am told).

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

I just received my 50XBR800 on Saturday. I will definitely check out my screen for the imperfections this evening.

I have a couple general purpose questions about our set:

1) Has anyone else hooked up the TV w/ a TIVO? It seems as if the quality is pretty poor. I have read other postings saying that the quality with analog inputs is not very good on this set. Is there anything that we can do?

2) When viewing the Lord of the Rings Special Edition this weekend, the Normal Mode results in the picture being shown in a "window". Meaning, that the image is smaller vertically and horizontally than the Screen. I have the DVD player set up to 16:9 mode. Is there anything that I am doing wrong. I dont' really want to use Zoom or Wide Zoom for such an awesome DVD.

3) Has anyone investigated HDTV receivers that output DVI? I can use the other component video in, but I would like the capability of DVI quality.

FYI: I am routing ALL of my equipment through a Denon 3803. It upconverts the S-Video and composit inputs, Tivo and VCR respectively, to the component out automatically. It also passes the Component in from the DVD through.

thanks.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bsimeral
Hello,

I just received my 50XBR800 on Saturday. I will definitely check out my screen for the imperfections this evening.

I have a couple general purpose questions about our set:

1) Has anyone else hooked up the TV w/ a TIVO? It seems as if the quality is pretty poor. I have read other postings saying that the quality with analog inputs is not very good on this set. Is there anything that we can do?

2) When viewing the Lord of the Rings Special Edition this weekend, the Normal Mode results in the picture being shown in a "window". Meaning, that the image is smaller vertically and horizontally than the Screen. I have the DVD player set up to 16:9 mode. Is there anything that I am doing wrong. I dont' really want to use Zoom or Wide Zoom for such an awesome DVD.

3) Has anyone investigated HDTV receivers that output DVI? I can use the other component video in, but I would like the capability of DVI quality.

FYI: I am routing ALL of my equipment through a Denon 3803. It upconverts the S-Video and composit inputs, Tivo and VCR respectively, to the component out automatically. It also passes the Component in from the DVD through.

thanks.
Though you have your DVD player set to 16:9 mode, it could be that on your TV you have set the Wide Default mode to Normal. Go into your TV menu and change the Wide default setting. This should do it. If not, just hit the Wide button on your remote until you get to Full mode -- which will display this 2.35:1 anamorphic DVD properly -- i.e., left and right edge-to-edge, and small black bars at the top and bottom (movies shot at a wider image than 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 will display black bars top and bottom -- overscan explains why 1.85:1 DVDs don't show slim black bars top and bottom, as the TV set at 16:9 is 1.78:1, so theoretically if you have NO overscan, you will see thin black bars with 1.85:1 movies).

For anamorphic widescreen DVDs, you WANT TO use the FULL setting for the wide mode -- you do NOT want to use "Normal". "NORMAL" is mislabeled -- it should be called something like "4:3 mode" -- because it's what you use to view "normal" television and old movies -- i.e., those filmed when 1.33:1 / 1.37:1 was Hollywood's "normal" film/screen size -- e.g., GONE WITH THE WIND, WIZARD OF OZ, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks for the reply!

I was worried about using "full mode" since that simply stretches the image uniformally. On 4:3 this looks HORRIBLE.

However, doing the math now, using Full Mode for widescreen/DVD's makes sense, since 4:3 is 1.33, and 16:9 is 1.78. Thus if there is any anamorphic transfer is > 1.78:1, full mode will simply blow the image up so left/right is edge-to-edge, and leave black bars at the top and bottom (exactly as you stated).

now all I need is feedback on my other two questions :)

again, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by the19hole
Guys, Check out this thread. I and others have had the same problem with the Panny and many front projection LCD's. After talking with the tech I now clean my filter regularly and use a can of clean spry in the vent intake. I have actually cleared a spot with the air. Make sure the tv is off!!Good luck.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=185975
Yep ... that picture with the green circle is what I have, too.

If this were the only thing wrong with the TV, I'd keep it, open it up, and spray out the dust (or have them do it).

But ... as I indicated, my fan is a bit loud, I believe, and my focus/alignment wasn't as good as the store TV, so I'm hoping the new unit is better. I probably need to look at it before they haul the old one away, and use AVIA to test the alignment/focus/whatever. I hope I don't get a replacement set with REAL bright bad pixels (as opposed to just dust) -- I can live with the few faint stuck pixels my current TV has (visible only from within a foot or so).

Dare I open it on my own? I ... don't ... think ... so. Even though I have the Service Manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, just got my 60" GWII this weekend and I love it. The only problem is that I have a this green UFO circle on my screen as well. It is horizontally center and just above the verticle center of the screen.... thats why it was so easy to notice. If it was up in the corner I might not mind as much. I have my share of bad pixels as well, but you can't see those unless you are a few inches from the screen so I don't really care about those. Anyway, should I have CC exchange it for a new one? Will it really go away over time? It doesnt seem like many people have this problem. I would hate to exchange it and get one that has other problems. What pisses me off is that I went to CC the other day and they finally had a GWII60 out on display and I looked at the screen and did not see any green spots and could only find a couple bad pixels.

·
Registered
748 Posts
SO HERE's the question, would the spot go away for good, if I let the bulb set in? Or would it constantly come back, and its back to the dealer, and coming back again, and that type of high maintenance. I am about to buy a GW 2.... and now I am skeptical big time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
How hard is it to notice bad pixels? Because next time i'm in the store i am really going to look, the thread someone else posted here, said the Tvs needed cleaniing ever 400 hours! MAMA MIA!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am sure it is possible to get a set with no bad pixels, but it isnt really likely. Thats ok because you can't see them unless you are looking for them and you are are within a foot or two of the screen. The best way to look for the pixels is to have the screen all black or all white. If you change it to a video input with no signal it will display a black screen. You will notice that some pixels are blue, some red, some green... again you cannot see these pixels if you are at least a few feet back... so they really don't matter.

The post about cleaning every 400 hours was talking about the panasonic lcd tv, not the GW. I did not see anything in my manual about a filter.

·
Registered
748 Posts
And one more question those UFO's, how do you get rid of them if you got one? do you exchange or do you let the bulb set in?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.