AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending the past month trying to tweak my antenna so I can get a consistant feed of UPN (KCOP) from LA (here in San Diego > 100 miles away) I've finally given up and decided to simply tune my Channel Master UHF antenna (4228) for the locally broadcast stations.

However, my antenna is very directional and I'm directly in the middle of my local network affiliates DTV broadcasts. So after spending a couple of hours messing with various directions on my antenna, I finally gave up and grabbed some old rabbit ears from the garage, plugged it into the pre-amp on my 12' mast and wedged it into the bottom of the pre-amp....

Now I get all the local affiliates with a minimum of 70% signal strength (measured on my HiPix HTPC card)!

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an omni-directional UHF antenna I can use so my neighbors won't laugh at me??? :(

-MM

·
Registered
399 Posts
Radio Shack has a couple of non directional antennas that might do the trick.

One looks like a frisbie with a pair of U-tubes sticking out of it and has no built-in preamp. Another has more of a swept-wing look and an internal preamp.

Both are between 50 and 100 dollars.

The nice thing about the Shack is that you have 30 days to play with it and return it if necessary.

I tried the swept-wing one and it did a pretty good job but it really wanted to be up higher.

Oh, and I almost forgot. The RCA 4500X is a weird little square plastic thing, the size of a record album. It is dessigned to screw onto a roof on the side of a house and is non-directional. Has a band-tunable low noise preamp in it with a remote control.

If you have a house and can get it up high to mount it where they recommend, it works very well in urban and suburban areas.

Hope that was of some use.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm... don't know much about TV in Mongolia. I've been using that 'swept wing' antenna, it's working well for DTV but is terrible for analog stations. It mounts directly to a Dish, I have a flat roof which only puts it about 3 feet above the roof. My biggest problem is that I'm so close to Sears Tover (1 mile) that the Hancock building is about 45 degrees off, as well as obscured by a nearby building. I wanted to try the RCA but couldn't locate one, the Shack is everywhere.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have an attic mounted CM3021 with a CM rotator and I'm able to receive almost all of the digital stations from LA, as well as from San Diego. The key is to use a rotator, as it is not possible to receive signals from both LA to the northwest and San Diego from the southeast and the southwest (at least for me) without one. I doubt a multi-directional or non-directional antenna will work since the signals are almost 180 degrees apart.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i use the terk tv25s which are little table top antennas and i get all of the local hd channels

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you want to try the RCA, Bardwell, send me a PM or an email. I am not using mine and would like to sell it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TomF
I have an attic mounted CM3021 with a CM rotator and I'm able to receive almost all of the digital stations from LA, as well as from San Diego. The key is to use a rotator, as it is not possible to receive signals from both LA to the northwest and San Diego from the southeast and the southwest (at least for me) without one. I doubt a multi-directional or non-directional antenna will work since the signals are almost 180 degrees apart.
Interesting. I would have thought that (at least for local San Diego stations) a multi/non-directional antenna would work because the rabbit ears I put on my roof are certainly doing the job for our local FOX,NBC,CBS and ABC affiliates. (BTW, PBS goes live tommorow here in San Diego with DTV!)

However, to get the LA OTA stations I agree that I need a directional antenna. Where do you live in San Diego? I live in the Clairemont area and get almost all of the LA stations with my 4228 on a 12' chimney mast.

-MM

·
Registered
195 Posts
i am using a silver sensor on my roof (i think). with a diplexer and the channel master 7555 amp in third floor bedroom i reciever all three pgh channels. even though one is in the opposite direction from the others. i didnt want to have it sticking out the window or on the floor so i called out an installer.

then i went to work.(mistake)

got a call, can t get terk 50 or 55 to work and tried a big uhf one and still cant get all three solid they said mine wasnt good on roof either (?) so i said ok put it all back thanks for trying.

i get home, no antenna on third floor. getting all channels.

think they sealed and put sensor on roof.

works much better with channel master amp over radio shack amp

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikem01

Interesting. I would have thought that (at least for local San Diego stations) a multi/non-directional antenna would work because the rabbit ears I put on my roof are certainly doing the job for our local FOX,NBC,CBS and ABC affiliates. (BTW, PBS goes live tommorow here in San Diego with DTV!)

However, to get the LA OTA stations I agree that I need a directional antenna. Where do you live in San Diego? I live in the Clairemont area and get almost all of the LA stations with my 4228 on a 12' chimney mast.

-MM
Ok, I'm confused. Are you using two antennas, the 4228 and a pair of rabbit ears? Are you getting the LA stations when the 4228 is pointing towards Mt. Wilson or are you getting them no matter which direction you are pointing? Or are you using the 4228 just for the LA stations and the rabbit ears just for San Diego stations?

My point is that for the best signal, you should point your antenna towards the broadcast tower for the station that you want to receive. A rotator is the easiest way to do this and way easier than using two antennas (IMHO).

I'm in Rancho Penasquitos, on the edge of Penasquitos canyon east of Black Mountain Road and north of Mercy Road. Fortunately, I have line of sight to Mt. Soledad to the southwest and can get a signal strength of 100 on KFMB and KGTV all day and night. The rotator allows me to point the antenna towards Mt. Soledad, Mt. San Miguel, Mt. Wilson and Mt. San Antonio. Since the local San Diego stations are in three different directions, I don't know how one antenna could possibly pick up all of the local stations.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uhh... that's a lot of questions. :)

Yes, I have a UHF antenna, but right now its disconnected because by simply hooking up a pair of rabbit ears I can get all of the local stations (but of course, none of the LA stations).

I'll probably go with a rotor later on, but that would seem to cause problems when you want to do timed recordings. How do you do timed recordings when you might want to record from two different networks in the same night? Or in my case, I'm frequently out of town for a week or so and have the timer record all my favorite shows during the week.

-MM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.