AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I know its a tough choice to have but here goes :)

I know this is over kill but I would like a large monitor to use in my office and surf the web and stuff. I currently have a 37 inch sharp lcd (love it especially running Windows Vista :)

That is being moved into the bedroom for tv use.

I am looking at two thoughts here size and resolution

First size:

The new vizio 50 inch plasma due soon at Costco. 50 inches for windows viewing to me is pure heaven at a price you cant beat

Resolution: I have also looked at the 45 inch 1080p sharps (the Gx) which has the avc box to make sure I can get 1920 x 1080 res with a windows desktop. This also helps when (soon I hope) 1080p sources become available I certainly wouldnt mind watching a little tv but again mostly all for computer use.

Ok so having said all this I would appreciate your comments. $2600 for a 50 inch plasma at lower res or a 45 at a higher price and res...............

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If using purely for Computer use then buy an LCD. Hands down, no question.

I really don't think you need a 1080p LCD. But if the price doesn't matter then it can't hurt.

Check out a 37" LCD (Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony). These will all be 1366X768. This is a good computer resolution. You said you already had one a love it so why not get another one.

There are bigger ones also that are out and/or coming out with that resolution and the 1920x1080 resolution you mentioned.

A "cheap" plasma like the 50" Vizio will most likely have burn in problems. You will not want this. Panny's and Pioneer plasmas are great in regards to fighting burn in, but with a lot of computer use even those will burn in.

Just note, Cable tv/Satelite tv will look better on a plasma then an LCD.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for helping me out. I know I want something over 40 thats for certain. The 1080p seemed an added bonus. By all means if there is a 1366 x 768 monitor over 40 inch coming I want to know about it. The 4.5 k price right now is the killer for me

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Good question. I wonder if all the 40+ LCD's are 1920x1080.

I don't think they are, but I'm assuming.

I do know that new 45" Sharps are coming out which means that the current one should be dropping in price to make room for the new ones.

Maybe you can find something like that.

Personally I'm a plasma guy. Love the colors, love the sharpness, love the crispness. LCD's just have a fake look to them. They have a digital look to them. Just not very natural. Just my opinion of course.

But, I don't use my monitor for computer use at all. Just TV, DVD and XBOX.

Good luck with your search, but yeah, I say NO to the plasma if it's main use is for a computer.

***Although, the Vizio is so cheap (relatively speaking) that you could buy it, burn it in and then buy a couple more for the same price as a 45" Sharp.*** Buy it, burn it, toss it. That would be funny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.