AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My soldering iron fell onto a capacitor on one of my xo's
. Is it something I can pick up at Radio Shack or do I have to order and wait on PE? Yes, I am a bonehead

Thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG5589 /forum/post/18219123

My soldering iron fell onto a capacitor on one of my xo's
. Is it something I can pick up at Radio Shack or do I have to order and wait on PE? Yes, I am a bonehead

Thanks

Bummer man, but welcome to the club. You wont find this at The Shack. (only some small disc and cheap n.p. caps). Just play some mono till your order from PE arrives.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It sucks.... yes you can order it..just check the mf value and type.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
You could also check Fry's since you're in California and they're like 7-11's there. Their caps are fairly cheap though, and never what you need. But at least they have more than the shack.

Is your cap blown though, or just a little melted? I can't imagine a solding iron killing a cap after just touching it a second or two.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
You might still be able to use it while you wait for the new one. Depending on how badly you melted it, it might just change the value a little and not make the sound suck too badly. Try it at low volume before your crank it. No guarantees, YMMV, etc., etc.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't look that bad but it did melt it enough that it changed how the speaker sounds. I did the AA battery test and the speakers would barely make a sound and no movement. I was just hoping the important part was inside but I guess not. The speaker is not quite complete so I will order from PE to keep everything consistent.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts