AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new Yamaha Digital Resiver, before I had analog, and I hooked that stuff up like a pro, but this Digital stuff is so far a headache. 2 weeks in, and I still cant get the sound right.

So, i'll list what I got.

Yamaha RX-V563BL 770W 7.1

4 Klipcsh Quentet Three Speakers

And 1 Polk Subwolfer

Playstation 3 Bluray Player

Ok, now for set up, 2 Klipcsh for Rear, 2 for front, sub is in the front left corner, and PS3 sound is hooked up via Optical cable, hdmi is NOT ran from the resiver, but right into the tv.

Back speakers never work till I set the resiver settings to 7chan, and when I do that, it does not sound like its set up correctly, go cars drive by, bullets dont sound behind me, it sounds like they all play at the same time.

I tried to delay rear by 2 seconds, dont work, If I use Movie Dynamic setting, rear speakers shut off. Untill I get my side speakers, I cant have full 7.1, so im stuck with 5.1 for now, I just dont know enough about digital resivers to get a grasp on what settings I should use.

If I go into settings and tuen off side speakers, rear speakers no longer become an option either, its weird.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

· Registered
1,533 Posts
First of all, it is 4.1 you have now because of you don't have a center channel (yet).

Make sure the appropriate speaker is wired to the correct speaker output. Sounds like you wired the surround speakers into the "rear surround" output. They should be connected to the "sides"

In the PS3, there is a display setup, followed by an audio setup. Select HDMI for the display and then the native resolution of your tv, When it asks you for audio output, choose optical. The next option might be if you want to output bitstream or linear PCM. Choose bitstream, although linear PCM will work.

You shouldn't mess with any delay, or Movie dynamic setting. Turn all of those things off for now. What you need to do is go into the menus in the receiver, probably something like "speaker settings". Tell the receiver that there is no center channel, and no rear surrounds. Choose "small" for all four of your speakers. This tells the receiver to send bass info to the sub.

The 7 channel setting sounds like "All Channel Stereo" for other brands. This give you all the same output from every speaker. You should not use this for movie, but for music, do it if you like the effect.

sorry if this sounds like a mish mash of advice. i have no clue where to start.

· Registered
398 Posts
Just to clarify my understanding

PS3 -> Toslink -> Yamaha

PS3 -> HDMI -> TV

If that's so,

1) In the PS3's audio setup, make sure that Dolby Digital, DTS, 2 channel 44k/48k are checked. (You probably can even check 2 channel 88k/176k). Also for DVD/BluRay digital output setting, choose bitstream.

2) On your Yamaha make sure that the selected source is your PS3. I know this is obvious, but if your TV's analog and digital out are also connected to your Yamaha and you have your TV chosen that could explain why surround doesn't sound right.

3) Set your Yamaha to Straight or Surround Decode (sometimes called standard)

4) Check your speaker settings in the Yamaha. You have 4.1. Set it for no center channel, no surround backs.

5) Now press the speaker level test on your Yamaha. This is the button that produces the static noise and lets you adjust speaker volume levels. Use that test to make your your the right speakers produce static when you switch speakers around the room. Also use it to level the speaker volumes. A decibel meter is highly recommended, but if you don't have one you can use your ears to get it close enough.

If all that is good, when you play a DVD and choose between Dolby Digital/DTS track in a movie, your receiver should note the change and display it. Let us know.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
figured I would forget something, I do have a Center Channel guys, it was a 5 piece set, sorry about that.

I'll try the settings tomorrow and let you guys know. I never tried turning off the rear speakers, I guess I assume the Yamaha wont adjust for the side speakers for some reason, and it looks like I got teaking to do on my ps3, i'll report back soon, be it good or bad =)

· Registered
9,485 Posts
This may be obvious, but ...

On a 5.1 system, there are no rear speakers. There are three across the front and two surrounds, which normally go on the sides. You can put your surrounds anywhere you want, of course. But, in configuring things, attach your speakers to the surround left and surround right terminals and turn off the back speakers in your your receiver setup. With 5.1, the software will send the surround audio to the surround speakers, not the rears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.