AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So a couple months ago, I built a MartyMini for my tv area. I am using an inuke 3000dsp and a Ultimax 18. Currently, I have it behind the couch because I really like the tactile feel, but I would like to have more overall bass. One sub would go into the corner of the room (up front by my fronts) and the other would remain behind the couch. So..... I am debating on building a 2nd sub. If I decide to do this, I have a couple questions:

1. Would I want to build something for up front or would there be a better option for behind the couch? What is best for tactile feel? A large vented box or something sealed?

2. Would I want to get another Ultimax 18 or could I do a SI HT18 and save money? If it would be better to go Ultimax, I am ok with that. Just exploring options.

3. Would I need to either buy another 3000dsp or sell my existing one and get a 6000dsp? I wouldn't want to run two subs off a single 3000dsp, correct?

I am not sure if I am going to do this, but I want to explore options and see exactly what I am up against should I decide to do so.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. Rest of system:
Denon X4000 receiver
Fusion Alchemy Towers and Center
Polk RC85i surrounds (4)

Room specs and such in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...am-i-missing-pretty-sure-best-gets-money.html

·
Registered
387 Posts
You have a huge room. I would stay ported and go with more horsepower for the next one. If you have the space and waf, do a better driver such as a ulx-18 and the 6000dsp.

The second sub will really help to add the feeling of surround sound bass and just a bit more volume, but with the next sub further away may not add as mush tactile as your 1st one. Have you looked into bass shakers? They work great for movies.

You could duplicate what you have and it will help, but does not sound like it will be enough based upon your bass journey so far... if the ohms to you speakers work you could try running two off the 3000 to start and just push it harder if you have some headroom remaining.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
How about moving the ported enclosure to the front and doing a custom sealed box behind the couch, sized to span the entire couch with veneer and a granite top so it looks nice? Depending on the size of the couch you could fit 2-4 more 18s, even if you didn't install them all right now.

·
Registered
12,038 Posts
I'd get another 3000DSP and UM-18, to gain 6db.
Having two power supplies is better than having just one.

Then later on, you could get another 2 UM-18's and gain another 3db.
and then buy a 6000dsp and gain another 3db.

That would give you 6db to 12db louder than you have now.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. Would I be best to do another marty mini, or would it be better to move my current mini to the front and put something else behind the couch? I figure the one behind the couch would mostly be to cover nulls and provide tactile feel, correct?

·
Registered
387 Posts
You have a good start on cone area and displacement. Your space is very large! It will take at least 4 of what you have to physically shake your close in space unless they are very close to the seats (under 3 feet) and your room modes are not too overwhelming.

I am afraid that another of what you have will not be enough! Typical of the diy forum path and all too soon you will crave much more. You become comfortably numb to bass very quickly... even with large amounts. It is truly like crack_bass_cane!

Maybe before your next sub get some good bass shakers installed in your seats? I have found they are worth at least half their weight in bass subs! Maybe more for movies. Seriously...

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Put the Minimarty up front in a corner. Build two martycubes behind you and get a inuke6000dsp. Use the si18 with the cubes. That will make a nice difference. Then finally build another Minimarty up front and use the 6000 to run two minis and 3000 to run two cubes. That will give you what you want. I have similar setup in 4000 cuft room open to whole top floor. It rocks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are there any other options for flat packs?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Why not just Stonehenge? It's dimensioned to go right behind a couch IIRC.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Why not just Stonehenge? It's dimensioned to go right behind a couch IIRC.
Ok. Just want to make sure there aren't any better or less expensive options for flat packs.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Model out the Ultimax with the stonehenge dimensions and make sure it will give you what you want. If I recall correctly, the Ultimax wants a pretty sizable box if you're porting.

I'd model it for ya, but I'm at work.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Model out the Ultimax with the stonehenge dimensions and make sure it will give you what you want. If I recall correctly, the Ultimax wants a pretty sizable box if you're porting.

I'd model it for ya, but I'm at work.
I seem to think the same. I would probably go with ht18 if I did Stonehenge.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Put the Minimarty up front in a corner. Build two martycubes behind you and get a inuke6000dsp. Use the si18 with the cubes. That will make a nice difference. Then finally build another Minimarty up front and use the 6000 to run two minis and 3000 to run two cubes. That will give you what you want. I have similar setup in 4000 cuft room open to whole top floor. It rocks.
I'm starting to lean in this direction now (two cubes in back and one mini in front). May just get a 3000 to power them though.

Biggest problem is time. Just don't have time to build them!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.