AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Ampro set up okay and was enjoying it, but couldn't leave it alone after seeing that the image was not centered on the CRT face and was a little close to the edge on one corner, so I found in the owner's manual how to center the image on the raster. I thought this would be good because then I could get the active image a little further away from the CRT edge.

The procedure requires that I turn "raster centering rings" on each of the tubes. Apparently there is one ring for left/right adjustment and another ring for up/down adjustment. I only needed the left right adjustment. Each ring set (I think they are right next to each other) had some silicone type glue in a small blob so it looked like these rings are held together or something. I got the green one turned okay, and then I lined up the red to be over the green. By turning the whole thing (maybe 2 rings, it's hard to tell) I was able to shift the image slightly to the right away from the CRT edge.

The problem came when I tried to adjust the blue so that it would overlap the red and green. There was some silicone type glue over the rings and I just turned the rings as I had on the other 2 (with no problem on the green and red), but when I turned the blue one, it sent the blue image all out of whack!

It seems that maybe the glue was holding something in place and I broke the seal and messed it up. It almost seems the glue was holding the ring set to something further back (the other ring sets were not glued in this same way). It seems the seal is still there between the 2 rings on the blue, but I broke the seal between the ring set and whatever it was glued to. A digital camera would be real useful right about now! Now when looking at a crosshatch test pattern the green and red line up fine, but the blue is tilted with the top right corner raised up a couple inches above the green/red crosshatches on the screen!

Is there a way to fix this? What should I do to at least get my projector back in the condition it was in before?

Thanks (and hoping I haven't irreparably damaged anything),

Matt

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I have this fixed now. This morning after the shock wore off from what I did last night I went back in and found a thin white plastic ring directly forward of the raster centering ring, which when turned, fixed the tilted blue image problem (this can be seen in the image that Ray linked to. It's sort of buried under the blue piece with # sticker on the left center edge of the focus picture).

Oh, I'm so glad that it wasn't anything more serious. This morning after finding this solution I finished with the beam centering, astigmatism, electrostatic focus and other adjustments explained in supplement 1 to the owner's manual.

Now I need to reconverge everything, and it should be better than ever, and I shouldn't have the raster edge worry anymore.

One other thing that I've noticed is when I open up the right (I think it's right) blanking, it puts noise in the picture around some of the crosshatch grid lines. If I back close up the blanking some, then it goes away. Any idea what causes this?

Thanks,

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.