AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a trip to the local BB and Circuit Sh***y. At both, asked if they had any remaining Replay or Showstopper units. Both said no and weren't planning on getting any more. But the CC guy -- the sales manager, mind you -- said "Replay went out of business. T*vo took over".

Me - "No, ReplayTV was bought by Sonic Blue"

SM - "Well, T*vo is providing the service for ReplayTV"

Me - "Are you kidding? Where'd you hear that? I have a unit that dialed up last night (thank God -- oops, different thread) and downloaded the free guide from Replay's servers. They also have a new unit coming out."

SM - (noticing my ReplayTV shirt) "Are you a company rep?"

Me - "No. I love my unit so much I bought the shirt."

SM - "Well, that's what we've been told."

How pathetic! Wonder who else has been "snowed" by the misinformation.

Moral to the story: Do your own homework. NEVER trust a sales drone.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Unbelieveable!!

What's worst is that this idiot sticks to his story the whole way and might still believe it. He says "Well that's what we've been told". Right, told by who???? F'n jerk, if you don't know something (or anything) why not just keep your mouth shut.

Unreal.

[/rant]

Xaa

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am pretty sure they were told to say this by their manager, to boost the sales of the unit which probably gives them more profit. Tivo can't become profitable because them pay to much to produce and market units by Phillips and Sony, I would be surprised if they were specially rewarding sales people to pimp their service over replayTV's. They gave away lots of units, could be they are giving them away as a rewards to sales people, since there business model is to provide service for a fee, they can give away units, and still look good on paper for shareholders- they are boosting their revenue...

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Having worked sales at both Best Buy and Circuit City, let me explain the bulk of the product training and especially new information:

RUMOR.

Someone heard from a rep down in Santa Fe from his neighbor's roommate's cousin that X company is actually the same company as Y and that's why they produce similar units but since X is higher end they don't want people to know. But go ahead and tell everyone to buy Y and never buy X because they're exactly the same thing.

You get the idea. It's ridiculous. Never believe anything any ever tells you anywhere. Even here :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Believe me, there is no Tivo-sponsored misinformation going on. I've had the same type of BS told to me by sales people in stores about Tivos.

·
Registered
826 Posts
We are the minority. Yeah, in a couple years, maybe even six, what we do will be common place. But there just aren't a lot of people who are using either Replay or TiVo.

Then half of those who use it don't understand it. Because it means understanding both TV and computers. I still have people ask me what a "hard drive" is. (And I remember having an external floppy connected to my computer and having paid four hundred dollars for it. What a joy! Not to record to tape. A 300K floppy.)

We'll forget the Short Circuited place, but imagine going to work at Best Buy, which does have tons of different electronics in the same place, and you don't really know much of anything. . .you're making minimum wage against commission. . .

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Here are some things I've had told, after asking the following questions: (1) What's different between a Tivo and a ReplayTV? and (2) What does a Tivo do?

Answers:

"They are the same, except with a Tivo you get it cheaper, but have to pay $10 a month forever." (hmm, the lifetime service fee option was even listed on the shelf next to the price).

"Tivos have to learn what you like, and then will record that. Replays let you pick what to record. That's why Tivos are cheaper."

"Tivo and Replay are merging together, I think, so it doesn't matter which one you buy now because they'll probably swap it out for you when they come out with a new model."

"Tivos records things like a VCR, but you can't remove the tape."

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not to defend ignorant salespeople, but to relay what might seem surprising information . . . .

My son-in-law has been the General Manager of a Circuit City store, an Office Depot and a Best Buy. Currently, he is the General Manager for all the retail shops at a major airport in the Pacific Northwest.

When he became a Best Buy manager, he was given a full year of training. I'm talking about full-time training, not just some classes after spending a day in the store. He attended classes and seminars, as well as spending time in a store with its manager. I remember him going to Florida to take classes in computers, and had lectures from people from Western Digital and Maxtor. I still have the Western Digital shirt he brought me.

And, I have been in his stores. His people were fairly knowledgeable and helpful . . . they usually knew who I was, so that may have helped.

And yes, I have heard my share of fairly stories from salespeople in major retail stores.

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Unfortunately, he's not the guy we're ever going to talk to.

Seriously, the last few years have seen an unemployment rate so low that many places needed to just hire bodies to fill spots. Consumer electronics suffered the same fate.

Most stores have a large percentage of good employees, and a handful of people who are just bad. But the problem with averages is that some places are going to be much worse and some places will be much better. And when you're knowledgeable, there's no trip worse than to Circuit City/Best Buy/Good Guys/Etc to see a completely ignorant salesperson miseducating the public.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Here's my general take on sales droids, "tech" people at CompUSA and anyone on a telephone support line:

They aren't paid enough to know what they're talking about.

If they knew what they were talking about, they could probably find a job that pays more elsewhere.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My favorite story was in a Best Buy, about 20 months ago. I asked the rep the difference between TiVo and Replay. He pointed to the Replay poster, and said "You have to pay a monthly fee with this one." I asked if he was sure, he said yes. Then I pointed out to him that he was pointing to the "No Monthly Fees" portion of the Replay poster. :rolleyes: Is it even too much to ask these guys to read what they are pointing to?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.