AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I finally have a seperate office and living room, I want to get all my DVD's ripped and saved on a harddrive for use in the HTPC i've built. Right now i'm just ripping them to DVD folders, but I'm considering compressing everything into x.264 if i can find a good container that is readable by what ever front end i pick

The problem I'm facing is i cant seem to find a good front end, they all suck. I'm using Vista x64, and Media Center looks great but the lack of plugins and tons of features i dont want bog it down. I want a simple Video and Music and image player, i dont want TV or anything else, I just want somthing to handle my media files. To many things in MC dont make sence, like why are Pictures and Video on the same "cross section". Why arent they two seperate catagories??? Why have TV + Movies on the same tab? they are 2 completely different things that should have there own sections. All this yet Sports gets its own tab? What about people who dont want any of this? why is there not an option to remove these useless sections?

So after fussing with Media Center I tried "My Movies" add-on that was made for it, and its great if it werent for it being incredibly ugly and not integrated well at all. So that was a huge let down as it looks like a great concept that just has been executed very poorly.

Next up I tried MediaPortal, which so far i like. Its easy to customize, easily threw out all the junk in it I didnt want. But its very bland, lacks that sparkling interface of MC. I want somthing thats snappy and very easy to use so the wife can pick it up and just find the movie she wants to watch and press play. Another problem is how it handles music, no DJ settings, no cool ways of telling it to play your highest rated songs, and no slick interface to enjoy.

So I'm asking does anyone know of a good, high quality front end that you can customize alot that handles Movies and music well. Somthing that makes sorting through 200+ movies and 10,000+ songs easy?

·
Registered
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagusas /forum/post/14177837

So I'm asking does anyone know of a good, high quality front end that you can customize alot that handles Movies and music well. Somthing that makes sorting through 200+ movies and 10,000+ songs easy?

i'm right there with you. and we've gone through the exact same trials... x64 vista media center > my movies plugin > media portal

i'm afraid this is it. the only other thing I'm thinking about trying is sageTV... even though it's geared around TV. people seem to love it & maybe it could be good for just photos, music and ripped movies

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
You could try J. River Media Center.

It was originally designed for music, but has video support too.

I don't use it for video, but its music setup is pretty much like Itunes, but better.

-Suntan

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sticking with MCE, have you tried the 'video browser' plugin? It looks like the slickest thing I've seen for just handling movies. Link

You could also try some of the skins for mediaportal which should add some sparkle.

Personally, I use meedio though it's more function-over-form and doesn't have the slick look that mce does (or media portal.) What it does do, it does very well - and that's organize your media and give you a straightforward way of accessing it. The downside is that it has a pretty steep learning curve.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
You should check out The Green Button if you think there are a lack of plug-ins. Outside of My Movies, there are near half-a-dozen other video/DVD library plug-ins.

Chris

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Also check out MC menu mender... you can customize the vista media center start menu, it's new and takes a bit to figure out but it's been a great tool to help clean up the VMC menu.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I use x lobby. you can skin to your needs.

there is also cqc.

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I user and love J River Media Center for all my media. Great organisational tool, and it can play anything that directshow filters can play.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meedios looks awsome, I'll try it out and see how it goes

Thank you all again for the suggestions, im trying everything out as we speak. That VMC menu mender has helped a ton!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts