AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on upgrading from my Mits HD1000U but I'm not ready to dive into the 1080p units yet.

I'm looking at three choices:

Samsung SP-H710AE

Infocus SP7210

Sharp DT-510

Of the three, I know that the 7210 will be the brightest but how would you rate the three on the following:

Image Quality

Color Accuracy

Black Level

Perceived Contrast (I know....pretty subjective)

Any help in making my decision will be GREATLY appreciated.

I know about the Samsung's Lamp Start-up issues but I'm not overly worried about that. I just want the best image possible.

My environment is totally dark with dark gray walls & ceiling, 107" 1.2 gain matte white screen.

I really want the most "accurate" image possible but it has to have plenty of pop as well. Will any of the thre PJs I mentioned hit that mark?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Personally, I'd wait to make the upgrade. The HD1000 is a nice projector. While your choices are certainly marginally better, since you already have a 720p DLP, there doesn't seem to be an overriding reason to "sidegrade" to another 720p DLP. Now you might have other reasons for needing to upgrade (Bulb at end of life, doesn't fit perfectly in room, just feel the urge to make a new purchase, etc.), but just moving from one to the other doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade. Wait a little while, and it's quite possible 1080p DLPs will be in your price range.

Jim

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I recently PM'd a respected forum member who has both the HD1000u and a SP7210. He feels the SP7010 is not a substantial upgrade from the HD1000u.

I'd wait for a 1080p DLP...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/14164151

Personally, I'd wait to make the upgrade. The HD1000 is a nice projector. While your choices are certainly marginally better, since you already have a 720p DLP, there doesn't seem to be an overriding reason to "sidegrade" to another 720p DLP. Now you might have other reasons for needing to upgrade (Bulb at end of life, doesn't fit perfectly in room, just feel the urge to make a new purchase, etc.), but just moving from one to the other doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade. Wait a little while, and it's quite possible 1080p DLPs will be in your price range.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

A friend of mine is interested in purchasing mine so I saw the opportunity to get a 720p unit that might yield better Image Quality than the Mtsubishi has, but never having seen any of the other projectors I've listed, I thought I might throw the question out to folks who frequent this forum.

Right now, I can get any one of the three listed for about the same $$$ as what I am selling mine for.

Do you really think the difference is that minimal?

·
Registered
935 Posts
The only one I've seen is the 7210. It's a nice projector, no question about it, but I wouldn't necessarily upgrade. Does the 7210 use the same mount, and will it be mounted in the same position? It might just be more money and effort than you're willing to expend for a small upgrade in picture quality. Of course when you first get it, the lamp will be new, and that will probably help somewhat, as well as simply last longer. There are reasons to make this trade, but I would be content with the Mits for a while.

JIm

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would wait as well... however, the avs member I bought my hd1000 from had "upgraded" to the sharp dt-510. In fact he said...

"BTW - The Sharp DT-500 basically has a bit better contrast ratio with an adjustable iris which allows you to close the iris for better blacks during dark theater viewing and then open it up for maximum brightness. It is better, but not dynamically better. The HD1000U will be outstanding for you. "

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Well coming from a Mitsu HC3000 that is better than the HD1000 and moving up to a Sharp 12k mkII I can say that there is a significant difference in image quality (but then I am very picky and notice everything ... although it does not take picky to notice much sharper optics , 3x the CR , obvious better blacks and shadow detail ) . I guess if you fall into that camp that thinks there is only a 5% difference from entry level to high end then so be it but if you are a sprouting videophile then I say the difference is absolutely there if you're paying attention

Keep in mind here however that I am not talking about a monumental leap like going from VHS to Blu Ray . More like going from a poorly mastered dvd to a well done dvd

-- Jason

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback.

I am the type that notices minor changes but would hope to gravitate toward something that has a substantial improvement over the HD1000U. Mine has been calibrated to perfection and has that 3D look to the image. Skin tones are quite good as well. The depth of the image is great.

It sounds like there will be visible improvements if I were to go with the Sharp, Infocus, or Samsung but I also know there will be drawbacks like noise level and/or reliability on a couple of them.

With your feedback, I've decided to stick with what I've got until 1080p entry units yield Images that are equal to or surpass today's high-end 720p units.

Just thought I'd pose the question to you experienced fellows out there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Good call.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Infocus X10 myself...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts