AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure as I haven't done too much testing with this, but here is the story...

Fellow AVS member sent two drives for me to zero out for him. I put the drive in my 2nd Sony (running 3.5). No flashing lights...power flashes a couple of times and up pops the "dialing msn to check for upgrades" Just like when you put in a blank drive.

At first I was thinking he tried to zero the drive himself and he was having problem fdisking or something and his computer wasn't seeing it.

That doesn't seem to be the case. I was initially sorta hacked off cause this meant his drive was clean and i just married my receiver to it which is going to cause me to redownload all 282 parts of 3.5 tonight. In any case I had to remarry my receiver and my drive so I stuck it back in. Voila, my UTV was just the way I left it. 3.5 in all it's glory and all my recorded programs and schedules.

At this point I was confused, so I stuck his drive back in. Same thing (wanted to dial up to msn to get the OS).

Did 3.5 set the user password on the ata security the same for all UTV's? If that is the case why? To stop people from buying $39 UTV's and selling the drive for a profit after upgrading? I mean why bother. Just doesn't make sense. I hope they don't make me go and crack their ata password now, I just don't have the time right now. But then again, it's always been about the challenge. lol

In any case, has anyone "noobie-ized" (lol, I still get a kick out of whoever came up with that) a drive with 3.5 on their UTV? How about 3.5 on their UTV and 3.5 on the drive that is trying to be zero'd.

Thoughts?

· Registered
96 Posts
Have you tried taking his HD and put it in your PC to see if you could format it?

· Registered
6 Posts
Noobie, I originally posted this in another forum....

I tried this proceedure a half dozen tries and can't get into the 40gig after. I have tried upluging IDE after 1.5, 2 and 3 minutes and leaving it run even overnight on the UTV. I can get bios to see the drive but when I run fdisk it aborts with a message disk read error. When it is zeroing I can hear the drive clicking for about 40 to 60 min then stops and the drive stops spinning.

I just got the 120 drive on the 4th, installed and it downloaded 3.5. I can also put the 120 back in and it works fine. Does sound like the same thing you are talking about? Any Ideas?

Thanks

· Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I just tried it a couple of days ago and I thought I was doing something wrong. Same as you noobie. Looks like it back to the drawing board.

· Registered
138 Posts
Great, so Microsoft has made it so we can't recover the old drive for use.

Just wonderful. Anyone ever happen to get the ATA password and what software we need to enter said password so we can unlock the damned drives?

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can always get one of those cheap utv's online. They all ship with 3.1 or earlier. My drives are wiped so no worries for me. lol

Damn shame they set all ata passwords the same...

But what I'm thinking now is mounting a hotswap chasis inside my two utv's. Since the password is the same now I should be able to move the drives between the two (got to unplug them first obviously since utv's never really turn off).

Expensive vcr tape, but could be interesting. :)

· Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

I had the same exact problem over the weekend. I needed to zero two drives one from a prior UTV and one from the CC $ 100 deal. How I got it to work was I unplugged EVERYTHING from the unit and let it sit alone unplugged for over one hour. That was all the connections and the card and the power cable (I think the satellite and power cable were key).

When I tried various combinations I had no joy. It kept telling it was calling MSN. One of the drives had a working 3.5 on it and the other I think was 3.1.

I found that waiting a good 3 to 4 minutes before disconnecting the cable worked a little better but as most of you know this is not a science but a art!

And BTW noobie thanks for all your orginal detective work. One of the drive was in the unit I had upgraded. My "new" drive a seagate 80 went BACK in just fine wirh no download or anything. I did loose the program guide but that was it.

Good Luck

· Registered
358 Posts
noobie or others... has this been worked out yet? seeing the UTV may not upgrade further and within the next year or so I might be looking to newer technologies, I'd clearly want to utilize my 120gb HD in my PC.. will this be possible with 3.5 or are we stuck with locked 120gb doorstops?

thanx,

riz

· Registered
261 Posts
Uh, I think he answered your question. It just takes longer to get the initialization process going. One thing, you could always try a trick I have seen used for the Xbox. Just have your UTV next to your PC and turned on, uplug the ATA cable. from the UTV HD. Have your PC on but paused before it does the HD detection. Plug in the cable from the PC. The drive "should" be unlocked and then you can do anything you want with it.

Also, what if UTV never came up with another upgrade? Are you unhappy with it in its current form? Granted, they could do some things to improve it, but for me, it works like a champ. I would only be worried if they shut off our boxes, but I don't think that is very likely.

The only tech that I would see that would be nice, is HD capability.

Keith

· Registered
358 Posts
Rare, thanks for pointing me in the right direction... Haven't been to the board in awhile and I was too lazy to search around and see if it had been taken care of

riz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.