AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there with UHD blu-ray disc in hand and a BDXL drive? I just want to know what happens when you insert it in the drive, will it be recognized or not? I know for a fact that BDXL drives can read up to 3 layers blu-ray discs.

Please move to the right section if necessary

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Is there anyone out there with UHD blu-ray disc in hand and a BDXL drive? I just want to know what happens when you insert it in the drive, will it be recognized or not? I know for a fact that BDXL drives can read up to 3 layers blu-ray discs.

Please move to the right section if necessary
I don't think they go on sale until March 1, but I most certainly will test it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Very interesting....it "should" work, unless the firmware in the drive can't read
whatever the UHD file system is.

I have a hunch it would be the standard BD UDF though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am also very eager to hear. It would be a shame to be locked out of ripping my new UHD discs. Putting the disc in seems so archaic. Not to mention waiting through all the warning, menus, etc, etc.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
From what we know about the format, the initial discs will most likely be BD-50s because those require no retooling of production lines and they work in all existing BD-ROM drives, making players very easy and inexpensive to manufacture. The whole point of having triple and quad-layer discs was to allow UHD-3D in the future (and allow for epic films and episodic content like TV shows or mini-series to use a single disc), which will consume significantly more space and require higher bitrates than 2D UHD video. So, until we know for sure that we have a triple or quad-layer UHD-BD in our hands, there's really no point in getting antsy.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
From what we know about the format, the initial discs will most likely be BD-50s...
I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense as there's no reason to use BDXL unless the size of the movie and extras exceed the disc. The last few Blu-ray movies I have bought had the extras on a separate disc, leaving on the main feature on a disc to itself with room to spare.

I preordered The Martian on Amazon, so I'll find out on March 1...

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense as there's no reason to use BDXL unless the size of the movie and extras exceed the disc. The last few Blu-ray movies I have bought had the extras on a separate disc, leaving on the main feature on a disc to itself with room to spare.

I preordered The Martian on Amazon, so I'll find out on March 1...
You didn't hear about it because 99.9% of the write-ups/articles/whatever about the format don't really contain anything except re-worded bits from the official press releases and have no real technical information about what is new and improved beyond the use of HEVC and occasionally, you'll read a blurb about multi-layer discs. Unfortunately, the BDA has really been a black hole about the new format beyond what's in those simple summaries, so you'd have to get in contact with someone who is actually in the BDA on the technical side of things to really get answers. I think the format will stick with BD-50 for the first few years and then move up to triple-layer discs and then go quad-layer with UHD-3D and the inevitable 8K. A BD-50 with HEVC @ 86MBps will work nicely, be fool-proof to replicate and cheap too, and it will allow HD extras or UHD extras as the case may be.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
AFAIK, the increased efficiency of HEVC counteracts the increased resolution of 4k and I understand that 10 bit can also achieve offsetting efficiencies, so a UHD movie will likely not be much different from a Bluray movie in terms of space requirement. Many Bluray movies currently don't even take up 40GB on a 50GB disc and some even fit in 25GB.

Compression is such a configurable thing though, that it will be possible to keep a movie within the 50GB limit by filtering detail judiciously so that the consumer probably won't be aware. Remember Avatar was supposed to occupy the whole disc for quality purposes and then they released Avatar Extended also on a single disc but claimed the quality was virtually indistinguishable?

There is more to a Bluray than just the data area on the disc and its encryption: official discs include tracks that can't be read by standard BDROM drives IIRC which allow the industry to verify that a disc is official and protected. I expect this is going to be used and enhanced with UHD and I don't anticipate it will be easily broken this time. I would not expect a BDXL drive to be able to act as a UHD Bluray reader as I believe the industry have learned from their mistake and will not allow UHD on an open platform.

IMO, physical disc formats are in the autumn of their life. Apart from cost, Sony have demonstrated that UHD files on a USB drive can be successfully played in a TV without all the headaches of HDMI or the redundancy of an additional external player: the challenge will be to develop cheap 64GB ROM flashdrives or equivalent that rival the cost of pressing discs (or close enough with other compensations). If more consumers had high bandwidth internet, streaming would be a possibility.

My best guess is that UHD will migrate to solid state storage for the videophile whilst the average consumer will be happy with reduced bitrate streamed 4k or lower using advanced compression or downloaded to solid state storage on the TV and optical discs will be gradually removed from the market. There doesn't seem to be much point in having external players when a TV already has an internal player (apart from legacy support).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm definitely interested in this test, as well as if any of our usual heavy hitting decryption apps (AnyDVD, DVDfab, etc...) will allow us to play them. :)

Last thing I need is a new blu-ray read/write combo drive to read the blasted discs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I did some experiments with h.265 (one of my job titles is blu-ray disc compression/authoring)

a 90 minute 1080p movie at 85Mbps with dolby digital+ stream at the minimum setting comes out at 55 GB.
That's leaving out additional 4k resolution and anything that HDR and 10-bit color adds.

In my opinion, I don't believe any commercially made UHD discs will be pressed with existing HD Blu-Ray equipment.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I did some experiments with h.265 (one of my job titles is blu-ray disc compression/authoring)

a 90 minute 1080p movie at 85Mbps with dolby digital+ stream at the minimum setting comes out at 55 GB.
That's leaving out additional 4k resolution and anything that HDR and 10-bit color adds.

In my opinion, I don't believe any commercially made UHD discs will be pressed with existing HD Blu-Ray equipment.
I actually misquoted. The correct number should have been 82 and not 85 and that's "up-to", meaning not likely the actual bitrate used in many instances as it will be VBR encoding for most media and encoding efficiency will improve over time, resulting in lower bitrates as time goes by. Triple-layer discs will support up to 108 and quad-layer discs will go to 128.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno" UHD-BD Edition is scheduled to be released after January.
Maybe it is the first UHD-BD release.
panasonic.jp/diga/campaign/ubz1/

·
Registered
482 Posts
Very interested to see the results of this. I would love to start buying 4K movies and be able to use those files off my HTPC in order to get the atmos track that is being left off many bluray releases. Will also save me from work when I get a 4K projector in the future.

·
UHD Addict
37,974 Posts
Can the BDXL drives read 33GB layer discs? I thought the UHD BD layers were supposed to be 33GB instead for the current 25GB?

With my last BD rom purchase I specifically didn't get a BDXL drive because of the extra cost. If these UHD BDs can be read by a BDXL drive I guess I will end up needing to purchase one.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Can the BDXL drives read 33GB layer discs? I thought the UHD BD layers were supposed to be 33GB instead for the current 25GB?

With my last BD rom purchase I specifically didn't get a BDXL drive because of the extra cost. If these UHD BDs can be read by a BDXL drive I guess I will end up needing to purchase one.
BDXL drives can read BDXL discs, which includes 3 and 4 layer discs with up to 33GB per layer. LG makes an external USB 3.0/2.0 BDXL burner with 12x BD-ROM read speeds (432 Mbps data transfer rate), far exceeding the 128 Mbps maximum bitrate specified for Ultra HD Blu-Ray. Even at 4x read speed, the data transfer rate is sufficient at 144 Mbps. So, hardware-wise, most current BDXL drives are more than capable. The issue is lack of AACS 2.0 support. Without that, you won't be able to play the content.

It's possible that the BDA could choose to license Ultra HD Blu-Ray playback capabilities out to PC software developers like PowerDVD. If so, I suspect that all it would take is updated firmware/drivers for the BDXL drive to go along with the playback software. But, I would be surprised if we see that anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts

From what we know, BD-50's will be used for the first generation of UHD-BD titles, so there should be no need for new drives any time soon. If need be, non-BD-XL drives can be updated with firmware to enable triple-layer disc reading when discs come out, though the mileage will vary with that approach, depending on the age of the drive. Triple-layer discs require retooling and redirection of disc replication lines, most of which must be locked down for BD-50/BD-25 production for the foreseeable future and current intel says that new production lines are not ready. If you want to buy a new drive, BD-XL functionality is the norm for new Blu-Ray burners, so you're good to go with what's at the local Micro Center, which stocks LG drives.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I've got an older Asus BD-ROM drive and a newer LG BDXL burner, so I'll most definitely be testing both of them once I get a disc in my hand.

1 - 20 of 700 Posts